Chimney removal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I am an experienced builder I have worked on many chimneys, but I have never removed one in the bedroom, leaving in the chimney downstairs and in the loft. House - early 1900's

Now I did some research and installed 'Gallow Brackets' in the loft, fitted concrete lintels and removed the chimney below the brackets, down in to the bedroom and below the floorboards.

Now in the loft, there was a strange set up with the joists, I have done a few drawings. I basically supported the existing joists by chiselling out half bricks from the fire check brick wall, and bedded new wooden joists into the wall ran them across the existing joists and fixed them. Then connected up the joist that is closest too the wall and fixed with 4 fixings too the brick wall. then put struts across from the 2 end joists for plasterboard fixings. There was a 8x2 support beam running on top of the ceiling joists (I think to stop them twisting and bowing) I put a spur from this support up to the roof joist to help hold it up and in place.

Im just basically making sure what I have done is safe, and within regulations. Thank you

Sponsored Links
Not quite sure if anyone can see any pics?

Also this is in a loft with no foot traffic.

Sponsored Links
These other pics are the chimney/gallows bracket and the finished product under the floorboards in the bedroom. not concerned about this as the joists are sitting on the chimney breast from the living room

not sure if photos are clear. I walked on this before putting all the supports in and it didn't move at all. its only ceiling joists that have no foot traffic at all as its over the far side of the loft.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back