Chimney responsability

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My neighbour has came to me saying that all 4 tenants are responsible for chimney repairs, It doest seem fair to me as the chimney has nothing to do with my property.

Ive had a google but cant seem to find what im looking for, has anyone here got any advice or links so i know how to proceed. Ive attatched an image so you can see what my property looks like.

Thanks for looking

James

Sponsored Links
Cant see why it would be shared liability between the 4 properties! any time i have worked on these type of properties in the past the maintenance of the roof chimneys etc on your half of the building would be divided between yourself and downstairs neighbour.
Unless of course you have any paperwork which says different.

Hi Roofline, my house is owned, I have a land certificate but it doesnt mention chimneys, only drains :(

Sponsored Links
By looking at it, I would say you are liable for your chimney and not your neighbours.
If you cant find anything on your paper work, ask your neighbour how he came to the conclusion you are liable.

Is that a semi-detatched? In which case tell 'em where to go.

Ah , because it`s Scotland it must come under the Lang Reeking Lum Law :mrgreen:

My downstairs neighbour says this happened a long time ago and all 4 paid, still seems strange to me. I mean what if there was a row of 10 houses, do they all pay if one chimney goes wonky

What happens if the roof blows off the whole block apart from your bit?
Every block of flats we have ever worked on csots have been a shared thing. Apart from say anything you do inside such as kitchen etc

You should check your title deeds! a relative lives in a similar building (quarter villa) and the liability for the maintenance of the roof is a 2 way split on his half only.

What happens if the roof blows off the whole block apart from your bit?
Every block of flats we have ever worked on csots have been a shared thing. Apart from say anything you do inside such as kitchen etc

If the roof blew of id expect to share the costs as its all of our roof, the chimney is not mine.

I suppose its handy if my guttering on my side falls off the folk opposite me has to also pay to fix it.

I will speak to mortgage company and pay £35 for my title deeds

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back