Chimney ventilation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi i was wondering if you could help. I have just moved into a new house with a blocked up fireplace in the lounge which currently has two 2inch by2 inch holes cut into it for ventilation. The wall is flat and so i'd like to put an electric fire suite up against it, however this will cover the two ventilation holes. Can i cut a ventilation grill higher up in the actual chimney (1.5 metres or so from the ground)? If i just push the fireplace up to the skirting board and so leave 1/2 inch gap or so between the holes and the new suite will that leave enough ventilation. Any advice would be very gratefully received.

Sponsored Links
was the original flue used as a solid fuel burning fireplace?

is it an old house - old flue?

is there a solid floor or is it a suspended timber floor?

could the flue be vented from the sides or even externally?

could the existing vent stay put, i.e. is there a gap at the back of the new fire?

steve - your "up to the skirting board and so leave ½ gap" plan is the one to go for. Plenty of venting via around the back of the lekky fire; if you can be bothered to do the maths ... area of your 2 vents = 8 square inches, collective area around the back of the fire = 2(½" x height of lekky fire) + (½" x width of top of fire). Clearly, the gap around the fire will be greater than the area of the holes (unless the lekky fire's out of a dolls house).

Hi thanks for the responses. It's a 1980s house with a gas fire flue/chimney. Flue might be able to be vented externally if that will work. there are no sides as the wall is now flat. The floor is concrete.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back