Chimney ventillation devices

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello: can anyone reccomend a device that will both prevent most rain water from falling into the chimney pot and will allow a solid fuel stove or open fire to function efficiently?

Have tried one that resembled a chinese hat with a mesh below but it caused the fire to emit smoke into the room.

And while you're there, these clay chimney inserts or elephant's feet as sometimes called. If they are not sealed into the pot then what prevents all the water that falls on the 'foot' being drawn by capillary action straight down the chimney?

Sponsored Links
The chinese hat you refer to is really just a rain deflector and a bird guard.....it shouldn't cause the fire to smoke in the room and I would suspect that there is a flue issue or even a down draught situation here.
The terracotta chimney caps allow minimal ventilation into a chimney, and any water that they let by is negligible.
I use cowls from the Colt group from time to time.
John :)

As john said!

Why do you think you need anything on a used vent?

Elephants feet are for ventilation only. they should be sealed to the pot as water simply follows it's contours into the pot.. capillary has little to do with it.
the amount of ingress can be quite a bit.

Sponsored Links
No rhetoric! unless the flue has relatively long periods of inactivity i dont see a reason for capping.

Thanks, Datarebal for your relevant comment.

To put the main question another way: there are several types of cowl available claiming to shelter the chimney pot from rain whilst allowing the stack to be used.

I have tried one of them and it caused a downdraft.

Has anyone any knowledge/experience of these devices?

Thank you.

This is purely my own opinion, but if the chimney is regularly used then the small amount of rain that gets in there does no harm.....its quickly absorbed by the soot / brickwork and so long as it doesn't splash in the bottom then there's no real issue.
Consider a chimney rose though as a bird deterrent! I do think these are essential and I can't see any negative effects.
If your site is down draught prone then there are several chimney cowls that could help - it could be an idea to check what neighbours are using. You can't really guarantee success - rather trial and error.
John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back