Chimneybreast mod.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys

I have a 1950’s detached chalet bungalow and want to make a modification to the chimney breast in the kitchen.

We have recently had a new central heating boiler installed in the garage and the old boiler removed from the chimney breast. This was an old freestanding Kingfisher gas unit fitted in the 1970’s and presumably replaced some sort of solid fuel boiler/fire.

Removal of this unit has left a hole 36 cm deep 76 cm across and 150 cm high. As we have a very small kitchen I would like to raise the height of the aperture to about 2mts so I can fit a 2’3 x 6’6” 15 light glazed door to make display cabinet.

As you can see from the photo there is a 70cm thick concrete slab across the full width and depth of the aperture with about a 15cm hole in the centre for the old flue liner.

The questions are: Will a substantial lintel across the door frame be enough or will it have to be a full depth affair?

Would this sort of modification usually require building regs?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

http://photobucket.com/albums/v639/allan1066/?action=view&current=chimneybreast.jpg

Sponsored Links
Hi Shaggy

Sorry about that - Have another try.

If the chimney had clay liners they would be built from the concrete slab that you referred to, and surrounded by some sort of mortar mix and often bits of broken brick. That doesn't look like a clay flue liner to me or a flexible liner? Is it just a steel flue pipe and why is it at that angle?

Sponsored Links
The pipe is a flexible, possibly stainless steel, probobly put in when the gas boiler was originally fitted. It goes off at a bit of an angle to start with then looks as if it straightens up. It looks like mortar lining the inside over layed bricks - I didnt want to dig around too much until I had had a chat with you guys.

Ok, I've cleaned my screen and can just about make out the ribs on the flexible now. Have a look at this pic. This is the start of a chimney I built where I cast my own slab, then lifted it into place. A wood/coal burner was fitted below. You can see how it is supported on half of the pier so yours is probably the same. There is no problem removing the bricks as you have shown and putting in another lintel to support the bricks but what do you want to do with the slab, leave it in place(which would make the job a lot easier)? The bottom course of bricks don't look like they are supported by it.
Scan10028(Small).JPG

What looks like the bottom course of bricks is in fact the face of the concrete slab, I guess bricks were used as a former when it was cast.

I would like to remove the slab if possible, I know it will not be easy to break it up but I have removed a similar one that was used as a cold shelf in the pantry.

Would a wood lintel be acceptable (say 6"x6") or should it be concrete or RSJ.

It looks like the slab supports all the brickwork unlike mine where it is only on half the wall. If the arrowed bit is slab then do you propose to disc cut the slab and leave part of it supporting the brickwork? Possible but a bit messy; my slab's got steel bar reinforcement.The wood lintel should be ok. Is that a single skin wall on the front face though, it looks like it may be 9" thick if they are really headers showing? It may be better to have a 65x100 concrete lintel on the inner skin with the wood on the outer.
chimneybreast(Small).jpg

The arrowed bit is all part of the slab and I would expect to leave it well alone. To remove the previous similar slab in the pantry I scored it with a disc cutter and bashed it up a bit at a time then cut out the reinforcing rods with an angle grinder leaving the stub in the wall as a course of bricks. I think the wall is only one brick thick, I will have a good dig around there tomorrow and see. One brick on the left is layed as a header but I think it is only to fill the space a bit, all the others are just half bricks I think.

I must get some new glasses really. You're right the pier on the right is only a single brick wide so the slab goes right through. How you propose to remove the slab sounds ok to me. If the front face of the chimney breast is only a single skin then the lintel is only supporting the triangle of bricks above it so a wooden one is ok, presumably as a feature? Otherwise I would use a pre-stresssed concrete one 65x100.

Hi Shaggy

We are on the way. I have decided to go with the wood lintel because a) I have plenty of wood. B) I can cut it to size and shape easily. c) It gives me an easy fixing for the door frame.

Thanks for you help, I'll keep you posted and let you know how it goes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back