chimneys

ok will go and take some pics in a min. i will either put them on here tonight or tomorrow

Sponsored Links
JohnD said:
worthless.gif
WOW!

ok, pics done and it looks even more frightening to me! i don't go up into the attic! v. scary to see a power cable running under it, apparently the wooden beam is towards the back of the chimney but hasn't shown up on the camera! the chimney in the attic you will have to turn your head to see, cos i forgot to rotate the picture! as you can see the chimney isn't very wide.

1367481131_a6dc260ce9_m.jpg

1367480149_504ea7e3d1_m.jpg

1368375670_36973a85b1_m.jpg

Judging by the lack of replies since i posted the photos i'm guessing my thread is useless even with the pics! ;)

We went into the attic today with a stronger light and what we can see is this:
The chimney breast in the attic is 'sat' on 2 bricks. At the back of the 2 bricks is a beam with the centre cut out (pressumably where the chimney used to run through the floor). Nailed infront of the gap in the beam is another part beam which is what the 2 bricks are sat on!! Under that is what appears to be smashed up black slate (relevance of this we don't know as our roof is made from rosemary colour tiles and are quite old!).

This 'problem' chimney actually runs through the slope of the roof. The chimney is about 4 1/2 foot high inside the attic and maybe 2 foot on the roof and as you can see from the pic, its about 2 bricks wide and 2 bricks deep. I'm thinking it is probably the neighbours chimney holding ours up and possibly the position of the chimney on the roof. Though its totally defying gravity and how it stayed up in those severe winds earlier in the year is beyond me!

Ok, my last question to you is: where do we go from here? do we contact a structural engineer or civil engineer? - i don't know the difference between them - lets hope the wrong can be made right before its too late!

Thanks again for all of your help! x

Sponsored Links
I would have thought a well-established local builder would be used to taking chimneys down. It's quite a common job.

You may need to consult your local Building Control office at the council, when I had a chimney taken down, mine wanted to see plans of what was to be done, and inspected the work twice to see that it was satisfactory.

No structural engineer was needed, the BCO and builder seemed to know what was usually done, there were heaps of houses just like mine in the area.

I'm thinking more in terms of getting it supported, and a structural engineer checking whether it does need extra support - though i'm wondering if it would be easier to just take the rest of it out. Saying that the roof would also need 're-filling' if we take it out. Would it be really expensive to just take the rest of it out do you think? - though it might be just as expensive to have a structural engineer out, and to then have the chimney supported correctly. I'm really confused! I started this thread just thinking i was being paranoid!

lose the chimney and make good the roof.

you can sleep easy knowing strong winds or rain ain't gonna bother you none.

noseall said:
lose the chimney and make good the roof.

you can sleep easy knowing strong winds or rain ain't gonna bother you none.

Agree; if your neighbour is loosing his half of the chimney as well, it makes no sense to prop up what’s left through the loft onto the roof!

Thanks for the tips and advice.

I think we will look into having the rest of the chimney taken out. Just worried how expensive it will be!

Do I need to contact the council or structural engineer? or will a builder just be able to take it out without either? Just asking because I'm in unknown territory, and don't want to get in any trouble later on down the line!

a decent builder could deal with this type of job in his sleep. there will be no need for building control.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back