Chipboard damp can it be treated

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Great site !

I recently found a leak behind the toilet.

Having taken the flooring up there was a thin (about 4mm) covering of board on top of the chipboard. This top layer was rotten and some water had got thought to the chipboard.

Question is can the chipboard be treated in these damp areas and if so with what.

Any recommendation or ideas ?

Many thanks for your time and regards

Mike

Sponsored Links
This top layer was rotten and some water had got thought to the chipboard.

Question is can the chipboard be treated in these damp areas and if so with what.

I would treat it to a good sendoff and get a new piece fitted, you might find it's worth buying this.

On a more practical note, if the hardboard has rotted then that will need replacing, if the chipboard has deteriorated to an extent that you can poke into it with a screwdriver then that will also need replacing. I really can't fathom out why a product that has the water resistance of a rich tea biscuit is deemed OK for a bathroom floor.

Replace with suitable thickness of WBP plywood.

Sponsored Links
I also cannot understand why anyone uses chipboard for a bathroom floor. I had the same problem and the first job after moving in was to rip up the chipboard and replace with T & G floorboards. This also has the advantage of easily making access traps.

Here is a song for you

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=NBikNb5oEcU[/QUOTE]

I like your style :D

The hard board is rotten so I have taken that up. The chipboard is damp so I hoped it could be saved by applying something that would harden it up !

Regards to all

Mike

Let it dry out and see how it goes.

What sort of area are we talking about, if it is just a few square inches and is under the WC waste and nobody is going to walk on it just cover it with hardboard.

There are wood hardeners on the market.

Like this

http://www.cuprinol.co.uk/products/ultra_tough_hardener_overview.html

You would need to check to see if it is suitable for chipboard.

Normally chipboard just reverts to its original raw state when subjected to a lot of moisture over a sustained period. It can survive a short exposure to water like a spillage.

Let it dry out on its own and review it with a screwdriver.:cool:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back