Chippings in the loft

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I've started to do the prep work for topping up the loft insulation as there was only 100mm of it and in one part of the loft I came across a bucket-load of wood chippings and was curious can I cover it with the next layer of insulation or do I need to clean it up first?
I already collected about 2 bin bags of it and there plenty more left.
I don't think it serves any actual purpose and it probably was left there by the builders to save the time on cleaning it up?
Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20220829_094658.jpg
    IMG_20220829_094658.jpg
    374.3 KB · Views: 57
Sponsored Links
Considering it would take me probably extra half a day to clear it would you mind elaborating why do you recommend to remove it? Fire hazard, insulation efficiency degradation, any other reason?

Fire hazard, will be attractive to vermin who will make a nest out of it, and won't do much for insulation either.

Sponsored Links
I would buy a wet/dry vac for £60/70 and suck them up. Probably worth a HEPA bag and wearing a mask.
way less work

Thanks all.
I'm already using wet/dry vac but with the amount of these chippings I would spend fortune on bags.
I have 3 already filled up 3 big rubble bags and not even half way through it.

What I'm also baffled is where all these chippings could come from, any ideas? I understand some of it could come when builders in the past were cutting something here, but not probably 10+ big rubble bags.
It's like someone opened up a wood shop up here

I would buy a wet/dry vac for £60/70 and suck them up. Probably worth a HEPA bag and wearing a mask.
way less work

Whilst I agree that a vacuum will help to remove the finer stuff, isn't the point of a HEPA filter that you won't need mask?

That said, when I was lying in hospital for two weeks with pneumonia last year, I over heard the medical team telling the guy in the bed opposite that they had removed a wooden splinter from his lung. So yeah, on reflection, I would go with the mask recommendation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back