Chiseling pockets into old brick

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I needed to chisel a couple pockets into one of our internal walls today for new joists to sit in.

Bricks are very old (150yr) and the wall in question was the party wall, 2 courses thick.

I used lump hammer and bolsters. Took some time and effort to get the pocket to a couple inches depth because the brick are pretty hard in places.

Job done, I go to the house next door to find I've caused some rather large cracks in the plaster directly behind where one of the pockets is. Obviously I've used too much force which brings me to the question. What should have I used to create the pockets? On the second of the 2 pockets I did, I used a grinder to score and then chiseled but it still took quite a lot of force to get the bits of bricks out.

Sponsored Links
Use a 6mm masonry bit & drill lots of holes as close together as you can to the required depth all over the bit you want to remove, then chisel out the pocket! ;)

Or carefully cut a joint out and put joist hangers in, instead. You live and learn - neighbours still on speaking terms with you?!

Sponsored Links
Or carefully cut a joint out and put joist hangers in, instead. You live and learn - neighbours still on speaking terms with you?!
Must admit joist hangers would have been my chosen route!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back