Choosing a new boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I don't think I will get another winter out of my 20 something years old wall hung Myson boiler, not a Combi.
I have had a guy in to give me a quote and he said that I MUST have a condenser? boiler and recommended a Worcester. :confused:
Is this correct and what make of boiler would you learned gentlemen/ladies recommend?

Many thanks in anticipation
A4L

Sponsored Links
Amigo4lavida said:
I have had a guy in to give me a quote and he said that I MUST have a condenser? boiler and recommended a Worcester. :confused:

A4L

Yes you must have a condenser - its the law, with a very small % of exceptions. If a non-condenser is installed illegally then it would likely come back to haunt you and the installer when you come to sell.

There are mixed views on WB. I don't install them myself, but some swear by them. Read the uk.diy newsgroup forum for some current bad reviews of WB.

Suggest you find an installer who will fit Atag or Viessmann and get a quote.

It wont haunt the installer........remember it is the home owners resposnibilty to ensure it complies to building regs. Daft I know but thats the way it is.

HarrogateGas said:
It wont haunt the installer........remember it is the home owners resposnibilty to ensure it complies to building regs. Daft I know but thats the way it is.

That is not correct. have a look at:
http://www.odpm.gov.uk/pub/117/BuildingRegulationsExplanatoryBookletPDF1191Kb_id1131117.pdf Section 6.

The BR's are a Legal Document and must be complied with by anyone carrying out works associated with them.

It is the owners duty to notify the LA of the Works where necessary but the contractor's responsibility to ensure that has been done where it is necessary for his elements of the works and approvals are in place as necessary before the works are carried out.

The LA can slap a notice on the Owner to rectify the matter if the Works do not comply as it is the owners property. If the owner does not comply with this the LA can take the owner to Court.

The LA can take contractors or anyone else to Court if they carry out works which do not comply with BR's all as stated in the above referred document.

This is similar to the Water Regs and Gas Regs, except the Utility Companies tend to just isolate the supplies where they consider the contrevention warrants it.

Sponsored Links
Amigo4lavida said:
I don't think I will get another winter out of my 20 something years old wall hung Myson boiler, not a Combi.
Is this correct and what make of boiler would you learned gentlemen/ladies recommend?

Many thanks in anticipation
A4L

I like the WB boilers. They do exactly what you want from a boiler.

Not sure of that analogy. That would make them have big wheels, idiotic spoilers, crappy paint jobs and driven by idiot chavs once they are a few years old. (I'm getting old when I hate those fools with a £500 car with 10k worth of ICE and 2k paint job!)
If you want to use car comparisons I'd say they were more Honda. Never go wrong. Only thing you have to think of is putting fuel in and regular servicing.
Unlike say a Biasi which is most definatly an Alfa romeo. Looks nice for a few weeks than rapidly falls apart and is expensive to repair. Just got a rubbish clock for one of them £120! For mechanical rubbish. Grrrrrrrr moan moan moan........................ :evil:

Have to agree - both companies have had there fair share of design faults - google Nikasil +BMW

ChrisRoberts said:
Not sure of that analogy. That would make them have big wheels, idiotic spoilers, rubbishy paint jobs and driven by idiot chavs once they are a few years old.

sums up WB a treat LMAO :LOL: thanks for a top laff mate

Chris Roberts,

I have a friend with a 33 y.o. Alfa ( Romeo ), car, not boiler! But he keeps it in the garage and it goes perfectly!

The Biasi 24 clock is not just mechanical ! Its a quartz electronic movement with battery back up and is very reliable. The only part which fails is the slide switch and I have a few new replacement bits which are under a fiver. The whole clock anyway is only about £57 plus vat. Why did you pay £120 ???

Tony

Agile said:
Chris Roberts,

I have a friend with a 33 y.o. Alfa ( Romeo ), car, not boiler! But he keeps it in the garage and it goes perfectly!

The Biasi 24 clock is not just mechanical ! Its a quartz electronic movement with battery back up and is very reliable. The only part which fails is the slide switch and I have a few new replacement bits which are under a fiver. The whole clock anyway is only about £57 plus vat. Why did you pay £120 ???

Tony

I think it's because my local merchant is a dirty robbing git!

Just before you make a final decision be aware that you can get an 18 kW Viessmann suitable for an open vented system for under £700 including VAT !!!

That must be something to consider!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back