choosing combination boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am eligible for a warm front boiler replacement but am concerned I may have to have an Ideal boiler. I have heard these aren't very reliable and would appreciate advice on good relaiable boilers. My house has 4 bedrooms and 12 radiators, 1 bathroom , downstairs cloakroom and electric shower.

Any feedback wellcome especially re baxi or vaillant boilers.

Many thanks

Gill

Sponsored Links
Warmfront do use Vaillant combis in some areas, never seen a Baxi combi installed though. The Ideal Isar v3 aren't that bad

They do fit baxi duotecs and solo's aswell as Vaillants. Getting an "Ideal" boiler will be an expensive mistake you will regret.

Baxi duotecs are used where you can't get to the outside of the flue. Baxi solos are used on standard boiler swaps when the primaries are in 22mm on 18 and 24Kw boilers.

Sponsored Links
I doubt if you will have any say on the make of boiler being installed by Warmfront.

The allowance was raised at the Budget from £2700 to £3500, so you should not be asked for any contribution towards the cost.

Ask what warranty they give on the boiler and about servicing.

Thanks for the replies

I do qualify for the full grant but don't want to end up with a boiler that will be unreliable and cost alot to maintain with service contracts. What size should I be going for and what makes are best.

The whole assessment for grant and survey has been a bit of a mess as I was surveyed for a replacement open vent boiler to replace my existing one. When the installer arrived he couldn't access the pipes without ripping up the floors or remopving the shower and tiles in the bathroom, hence his suggestion that a combi would be best and cheapest option.

I am very grateful for the grant but worry about best option. I don't mind paying extra if need be, for peace of mind.

I don't mind paying extra if need be, for peace of mind.
Ask them what options you have and what they will cost, then come back to this topic with their suggestions and someone will advise you. If we tell you they are all rubbish, that's the time to say you are willing to pay £X to get a decent boiler.

You can ask for a boiler you want and dont have to accept an ideal, they may lie at first and say you have to have it but push the issue, you will prob have to pay something as they get the sh@te for next to nothing.
Stand your ground

Had a client on the phone to convert from solid fuel to gas, warmfront eligible- with the new rate of £3500 was also asked to top up by £1900. Total cost of job £5400!!!!
That was only replacing the downstairs rads - Std 3 bed semi.

This is ridiculous- all the increase has managed is to top up eaga's profit by £800 per install.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back