Choosing & fitting a room thermostat - advice please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

My (oil fired) central heating system comprises a Worcester boiler and a Drayton LP522 'Lifestyle' timer. At present, all of the radiators have TVRs but there is no room thermostat (let's call it a RT from here on), meaning the boiler stays on for longer than we think it should.

I understand that we should get a RT fitted so that the boiler will cut out when the chosen room reaches the desired temperature rather than running full speed ahead whenever the timer is ON. Before I take the plunge, can anyone help with the following questions? I've read the wiki but it doesn't seem to answer my specific questions:

1. Am I correct in assuming a non-programmable RT is wired into the Drayton timer?

2. Having looked around a bit, there seems to be both 'basic' RTs and programmable ones. Is there any real advantage to getting a programmable one or should I just get a 'basic' one and use it with the existing timer?

3. Having read up on the best places to situate the RT, I will most likely want to locate it some distance from the timer. As a result, I am considering wireless ones - can anyone recommend one which is (a) reliable, and (b) compatible with/easy to wire into the Drayton LP522 timer?

4. Once fitted, what do I do with the existing TVRs? Leave them all fully open? I've read conflicting advice on this issue.

Many thanks for any advice offered.

Sponsored Links
To answer the questions in order (rather than by number :rolleyes: ):

No - wiring centre.

yes, they're more efficient.

Honeywell CM921 or CM927

Yes, yes,

leave TRV's as you need them, except where the stat is, in which case turn the trv up high.

Yes, there is a very handy search button where answers to questions that get asked three times a week can be found.

You're welcome.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back