choosing plasterboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My ceiling was starting to fall so I pulled it down and need to replace it, but am not sure what to use. I removed horse hair plaster which was up to an inch/25mm thick and want the equivalent or better sound resistance. Can anyone recommend the appropriate thickness of plasterboard and/or should I use insulated board (I'm not that bothered about heat, but wouldn't mind if it insulates a bit better)?

Sponsored Links
hi, i think you can get the acoustic resistant pb, purple i think it is, cant remember havent worked woth it for ages.

tom

Sponsored Links
Two layers of 12.5mm SoundBloc. It hasn't got the air bubbles they put in normal plasterboard. If you don't mind losing another 10mm, you can use resilient bars and seal the edges with acoustic sealant.

You can also add heavy acoustic mineral wool. This is a sound absorber and not a sound insulator, so it doesn't need to be laid flat. This is important if you have power cables. The mineral wool will be effective even when gaps are left around wiring. However, if it can be laid flat, it will also work as thermal insulation.

If you live in a flat then the work is notifiable to the LABC.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back