Christmas lights plugged into a light fitting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When I was a kid, we used to have a connector on the end of our Christmas lights that was a bayonet fitting, so we just plugged them into a table lamp (took the bulb out and replaced it with a string of Christmas lights).

I would like to do the same thing now, so we can put some lights up in our porch, and just plug them into the porch light fitting. (The porch is fully enclosed, so no 'IP' ratings to worry about. I would run an extension lead out there, but all the hall sockets are the opposite side of the hall, so the cable would be strung across the hall. (Could put some tinsel on it I guess :) )

I would be looking for an Edisson Screw variety.

I have had a trawl about on the Web, but I can't find what I want, partly I think because I cannot think what it would be called.

Does anyone know if such a thing still exists?

Thanks in anticipation.

Sponsored Links
I think they've long ago fallen victim to the safety elf, although you do sometimes see then at boot sales and junk shops. I don't ever recall seeing an ES one though.

In the past I've achieved what you're trying to do by installing a suitable socket (preferably NOT a standard 13A) next to the porch light, and supplied from it. I think I used a 5A BS546 round pin, but something like a "Klik" plug-in ceiling rose could also be appropriate. this does limit you to not using christmas lights of the kind that have a moulded plug in transformer though.

I've seen travel adapters which include an ES lamp base to US 2-pin socket adapter. If you can find one of those you could put a US plug on your lights.

Sponsored Links
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back