circuit breaker loose wires burned

professionals talking and I didnt understand a word. ... .but it sounds ominous!
I, for one, am not an (electrical) professional :) Anyway, an attempt at a translation ...

Someone suggested that replacing your whole CU might be a bit OTT. I therefore said that you might ask your electrician whether he might be able to just replace the case (which comes with terminal bars etc.), re-using most of the innards of the present one. TTC suggested that might not be as easy as it sounds, because of the apparent make of your CCU - which may be true. Your electrician would know.

Finally, I mentioned the fact that your current CU, with just one RCD and some circuits not protected by an RCD is an old-fashioned concept. For a new installation today, current regs would more-or-less require a CU with two RCDs - so I was suggesting that if it did need to be replaced, your electrician might well advise you to have it replaced with a 'current regulations' one (even though that is not mandatory).

Kind REgards, John

Sponsored Links
your electrician might well advise you to have it replaced with a 'current regulations' one (even though that is not mandatory).
No, not "mandatory", but as you say, the current regs more-or-less require a CU with two RCDs, and the replacement has to comply with the current regs, not the ones which were in force when the original CU was originally installed.

your electrician might well advise you to have it replaced with a 'current regulations' one (even though that is not mandatory).
No, not "mandatory", but as you say, the current regs more-or-less require a CU with two RCDs, and the replacement has to comply with the current regs, not the ones which were in force when the original CU was originally installed.
We're obviously agreed about what is desirable (and sensible), but are you sure that what you say is necessarily true? - i.e. is a 'like-for-like' replacement of a 'damaged something' which was compliant when initially installed, but not compliant with current regs, necessarily not allowed? For example, current regs would not allow me to install a lighting circuit with no CPC - so does that mean that I would not be allowed to, say, replace a damaged ceiling rose or switch if the circuit had no CPC?

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
We're obviously agreed about what is desirable (and sensible), but are you sure that what you say is necessarily true? - i.e. is a 'like-for-like' replacement of a 'damaged something' which was compliant when initially installed, but not compliant with current regs, necessarily not allowed? For example, current regs would not allow me to install a lighting circuit with no CPC - so does that mean that I would not be allowed to, say, replace a damaged ceiling rose or switch if the circuit had no CPC?

Kind Regards, John
Yes with plastic accessories.

Any competent electrician would advise the CU is upgraded simply because they carry the can for the job. Frankly, putting doubt into the OP's mind about something which could potentily save their life is irresponsible.

Kind regards,

DS

... so does that mean that I would not be allowed to, say, replace a damaged ceiling rose or switch if the circuit had no CPC?
Yes with plastic accessories.
Do I take it that when you say 'yes', you mean 'no' - i.e. that I would not 'not be allowed' to replace the accessory - which is what I understood!
Any competent electrician would advise the CU is upgraded simply because they carry the can for the job. Frankly, putting doubt into the OP's mind about something which could potentily save their life is irresponsible.
With respect, I think that's uncalled-for and a bit of a cheek! It was I (yet no-one else in this discussion), who pointed out to the OP that his electrician should be replacing the CU (if replacing is what he does) with a dual-RCD one! Had someone else not suggested bodging a repair, rather than replacing the CU, the subsequent discussion would never have arisen.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back