Circuit breaker tripping wont reset

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi looking for some advice please.
Found the rcd on consumer unit tripped and would not reset. Turned off all the 3 circuit breakers and put back on individually. Shower and lightning reset all okay, but downstairs sockets breaker keeps tripping. Work was done on this consumer board last year and was told its only the front room hall and back room sockets on this breaker and everywhere else downstairs is on the other rcd which is all okay. Ive removed all appliances and turned off all sockets including spurs, and breaker will still not reset. One extension plug (multiple plugs can be plugged into)we’re using have noticed the earth pin has corroded could this cause damage to the socket? Could it be faulty breaker itself? Any further steps i can do from here myself thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Found the rcd on consumer unit tripped and would not reset.
Ok.

Turned off all the 3 circuit breakers and put back on individually. Shower and lightning reset all okay, but downstairs sockets breaker keeps tripping.
Do you mean a different breaker than the RCD first mentioned?

By keeps tripping, do you mean will not reset or does reset and trips later?

If so, is the RCD now not tripping?

Turned all 3 breakers off and reset rcd. So i reset the 3 breakers on the circuit with the rcd that tripped originally. Shower and lights reset okay so rcd is still on. When i go to put socket breaker on it trips straight away and trips rcd.

Ok

If a circuit breaker trips then you must have a Line(live) to Earth fault.
If you have removed all the appliances then it must be a fault on what's left - wiring, socket, FCU etc.

Has any work been done - screws in walls etc.?

Sponsored Links
The missus of a pub mate recently had a similar problem. I swung by, asked what she was doing when the RCD tripped. She mentioned that she had just cleaned the slow cooker. I unplugged it, the RCD now stayed up. Water had got in to the appliance, hence the live to earth fault that @EFLImpudence mentioned, and @Taylortwocities is alluding to (ie water in any exterior light fittings).

No out door lights or no work was done. But have noticed that there is damp near one of the sockets on the wall. This cause damage to the socket overtime?

No out door lights or no work was done. But have noticed that there is damp near one of the sockets on the wall. This cause damage to the socket overtime?
If the damp is inside the socket box then it could be the cause. As the power is off (do check this first!) …Remove the socket front plate and see if it’s damp inside.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back