circuit consumption calculations

Millennium_Boy said:
IMPORTANT , the ceiling rose's Lighting Flex MUST also be uprated to 1.5mm, from the usual 0.75mm, otherwise a breach of the wiring regulations will occur - the flex must be protected along it's entire length.
This point can be easily overlooked.

So how come the mains voltage d/lighters bought from Q&B use 0.75 cable,stripped of outer sleeving, and not even "heat resistant" as suggested elsewhere on this forum?

Do you think future ceiling roses will come with a fitted 0.5 amp fuse to stop you exceeding 100 watts or will it be fitted to the new light fitting you've just bought?

Does Santa really exist, and if he does, how does he fit a Kango hammer into a box thats the size of a bottle of aftershave ?

As an aside, Saddams first words on being captured were "Have I beat David Blaine ?" :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Scoby_Beasley said:
So how come the mains voltage d/lighters bought from Q&B use 0.75 cable,stripped of outer sleeving, and not even "heat resistant" as suggested elsewhere on this forum?

Rearrange the following words to make a well known phrase or saying:

"and", "nasty", "cheap"

Regarding cable sizes, I think this is a typical example of "why confuse the layman with complex choices?"

Just use cable that exceeds the requirement - eg. dont try to save just a few £'s, by using substandardly rated cable for the application at hand.

If there is any doubt, like with shower cables, just use the bigger stuff - ie. use 10sqmm instead of 6sqmm.

While it is important for electricians to know the limits of cable - as in the course of their work they can save £££ over time by streching the limits of cable - for the DIYer, its just best to pay the 50p extra and play it safe...

i WOULD BE VERY CAREFUL WHAT THESE GUYS SAY. IT IS IMPORTANT THAT YOU GET THE RIGHT SIZE. I WOULD ADVISE YOU ON DOING THE WORK IF YOU ARE NOT 16th EDITION TRAINED. THERE ARE VERY STRICT RULES AND REGS FOR WIRING A BATHROOM.

whiz said:
This is my first time so be gentle! How do you calculate the demand on an electrical circuit so that you can determine the correct cable size? . I have been asked to cable the lighting circuit to an extension which consists of 2 rooms - bathroom and bedroom. The bathroom will have 3 50w down-lighters, and a wall light/shaver point, and possibly an extractor. I do not know off-hand the power consumption of the shaver point and the extractor(is there a general guide?). I have been provided with 1.0mm twin + earth, which going from your excellent information is suitable for loads upto 3.24kw/h. Is it just as simple,as to add the sum of the power consumptions for the individual items in the circuit at 230v? :eek:

Sponsored Links
Millennium_Boy said:
IMPORTANT , the ceiling rose's Lighting Flex MUST also be uprated to 1.5mm, from the usual 0.75mm, otherwise a breach of the wiring regulations will occur - the flex must be protected along it's entire length.

most roses wouldn't take 1.5mm flex

truth is a lightbulb is very unlikely to give you a significant overload and its such a short run that short cuircuit protections shouldn't be a real problem.

IN A BATHROOM YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED FLEX COMING FROM THE CEILING ROSE. IN A BATHROOM THEY MUST BE A SEALED UNIT

plugwash said:
Millennium_Boy said:

most roses wouldn't take 1.5mm flex

truth is a lightbulb is very unlikely to give you a significant overload and its such a short run that short cuircuit protections shouldn't be a real problem.

Astrozero, you're commenting on a thread from 2003. Not really worth the time mate.

ASTROZERO said:
i WOULD BE VERY CAREFUL WHAT THESE GUYS SAY. IT IS IMPORTANT THAT YOU GET THE RIGHT SIZE. I WOULD ADVISE YOU ON DOING THE WORK IF YOU ARE NOT 16th EDITION TRAINED. THERE ARE VERY STRICT RULES AND REGS FOR WIRING A BATHROOM.
As IanDB pointed out, you're responding to an ancient thread, which is a waste of time.

You are also SHOUTING, which is rude.

But nevertheless, very generous of you to offer to advise whiz about what to do if he's not 16th Edition Trained - did you plan to go round to his house and check it all out?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back