circulation problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all. am pulling my hair out with a c /heating fault i have at the moment. i'm an ex-bt building services engineer, and spent many years working on boilers & heating systems industrial & domestic, large & small, did corgi when it first came out in late 80's and so should kinda know my way around a boiler etc.

this is a vaillant turbomax combi, that used to work fine. rented the flat out a couple of years ago, but since ive been back its not right.

boiler seems fine, i.e. no error codes, pump's running (impellor spinning) but we dont have any hot water at rads.

a few days ago we had hot water at rad stems, but only luke warm rads, with one not hot at all (furthest) so i balanced them up, the farthest heated up a little, so decided it needed a flushing, which i did, and then used fernox system restorer.

however, since refilling, boiler fires up, runs for 20 secs or so, flow temp is showing 82C, so obviously it shuts down.

but the flow pipe away from boiler is cold, and so, obviously are the rads now. have bled rads, drained and refilled system, vented boiler (on pressure overflow) and refilled again.. ..most confused. I cant get my head round why the pump impellor is spinning, but the flow pipe is cold.

can the boiler be airlocked? theyre supposed to be automatic venting arent they? the installation manual says so.

any suggestions anyone please?

thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
If its a Turbomax Plus the diverter valves give trouble.

Turn off boiler.

Unscrew knurled ring holding on the motorised actuator.

Use long nose pliers to grip the pin inside the brass valve body. It should move freely backwards and forwards - design fault means they are often jammed.

you are spot on my knowledgable friend. i cracked it myself last night after i posted this :)

it did take me a good while messing about with it though, what i should have done is had another cup of tea first, waited ten minutes or so for your reply, then gone back to it ;)

top marks!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back