Cistern Connection

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently purchased Toilet, Pan and Cistern (The manufacturer is Gala, A Spanich Company).

After visiting B&Q Warehouse I thought I'd purchased the correct connector, wanting the braided bendy type but unfortunately the threaded end is too wide. The connection on my cistern is plastic threaded and seems to be about 5/8" (15 or 16mm) which is narrower than the cistern kits they had for sale. I couldnt seem to find the end connector for my size at any of the major DIY stores neither.

Can anyone help?

Haveaago

Sponsored Links
I'm not sure I understand your problem,but I assume you are referring to the water inlet.
If you are after a flexible connecting pipe usually about 12 to 14 ins long for a toilet they are available known as flexible tap connectors stocked by the likes of B&Q. They have a 15mm compression fitting at one end and 1/2 inch female connector at the other which goes straight on a tap or cistern inlet pipe.(with sealing washer)
I cannot see the thread being anything other than 1/2 inch,but this is the nominal size of the bore of a threaded pipe, the thread itself is about 3/4 inch if you measured its diam.
If its not a standard 1/2 you will need some type of adaptor to change to a 1/2 inch thread .Who would sell a threaded item if the mating part is not available
I suggest you take it to aB&Q warehouse where you can get advice.
Maybe you purchased a 22mm by 3/4 inch tap connector for bath taps

I purchased, 15 - 1/2 flexible pipe, as you saidit is a compression fitting one end and 1/2 inch female screw thread the other, I thought this 1/2inch measurement referred to the dia of the fitting but I find it more like 3/4inch as you mentioned.

The tap connector I bought seems to fit other water inlet connections these shops had on sale but my fitting has a narrower thread (5/8inch) as I said, with it being Spanish Toilet System maybe it fits their size regulations.

I'll see if I can get some sort of adaptor.

I had the same problem - I finally found the size to be 3/8"

The plastic thread is too brittle and can break easily.

Screwfix supply a replacement with a brass thread.

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/87426.../Fluidmaster-Euro-Bottom-Entry-Fill-Valve-3-8

Part No: 87426

This suits a 10mm pipe, so I purchaseda 10mm x 3/8" to connect to the inlet, it was the best Screwfix did.

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/58561/Plumbing/Compression-Fittings/Flowflex-Male-Coupler-10mm-x

Part No: 58561

The cistern doesn't have a lot of room as the hole is close to the wall - so I used a piece of plastic to push the mechanism away from the cistern wall

Sponsored Links
... I thought this 1/2inch measurement referred to the dia of the fitting but I find it more like 3/4inch as you mentioned...
Unlike most other thread forms where the size refers to the diameter of the fastener, the nomenclature of pipe threads refers to the bore of the pipe the thread is intended to fit. Because of the wall thickness of (iron) pipes, a nominal 1/2" thread is actually about 3/4" diameter.

15 to 10mm adpator, any plumbers merchant, post should be in plumbing section.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back