cistern in down stairs tiolet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HI There

Can anyone help.

I am a keen DIY and done many a good job (people say) and just to mention I am a woman.

Down stairs tiolet water cistern is plastic and twice I have had someone in to replace the inside works to help flush, BUT now it is being flushed by a bit of string, comical I know but hey.

Can anybody tell me if I can just buy the water cistern instead of a whole new tiolet. It is not a close couple toilet, the tiolet and the water cistern has a pipe joining them together.

Lastly, would it be easy to change to a more modern one so at least my son can flush it :confused: Also, is there diagrams anywhere which shows a clear helpful insulation guide.

Hope someone can help

Kind regards

Tracy

Sponsored Links
Check the capacity of your old and proposed new cisterns. Older cisterns flushed 2 gallons (9 litres) of water. Modern cisterns are often only 6 litres, which may not be enough to clear the pan.

Other parts you may require include the flush pipe and flush cone that connects the pipe to the back of the pan, but with luck, you can re-use the existing parts.

You will probably have to move the water connection to the fill valve to suit the new cistern.
The overflow/warning pipe probably won't be so much of a problem, as most modern cisterns have an internal overflow.

Measure the depth of your old and proposed new cistern to make sure there's enough room for the seat to stay up.

Removing the old cistern can be problematic, as the fixing screws are usually very rusty. The new one will probably need new fixing holes drilled in different positions.

You may have a choice between a syphon and a flush valve.
Syphons are usually operated by the traditional handle, and are reliable until the plastic diaphragm washer fails. That usually takes a few years.
Flush valves are usually push button operated. they are, IMO, more prone to leaking, but can usually be dismantled easily for maintenance.

Thank you for your report, one more thing if I got someone into do the job, how much roughly would they charge if everything is there waiting for them to do the job. So I dont get over charged being a woman. I would appreciate your estimate.

Check the capacity of your old and proposed new cisterns. Older cisterns flushed 2 gallons (9 litres) of water. Modern cisterns are often only 6 litres, which may not be enough to clear the pan.

Other parts you may require include the flush pipe and flush cone that connects the pipe to the back of the pan, but with luck, you can re-use the existing parts.

You will probably have to move the water connection to the fill valve to suit the new cistern.
The overflow/warning pipe probably won't be so much of a problem, as most modern cisterns have an internal overflow.

Measure the depth of your old and proposed new cistern to make sure there's enough room for the seat to stay up.

Removing the old cistern can be problematic, as the fixing screws are usually very rusty. The new one will probably need new fixing holes drilled in different positions.

You may have a choice between a syphon and a flush valve.
Syphons are usually operated by the traditional handle, and are reliable until the plastic diaphragm washer fails. That usually takes a few years.
Flush valves are usually push button operated. they are, IMO, more prone to leaking, but can usually be dismantled easily for maintenance.

Sponsored Links
never estimate without seeing a job.
depending on access and altering mains water feed.
should be in/out in 2 hours top.

Thank you for your report, one more thing if I got someone into do the job, how much roughly would they charge if everything is there waiting for them to do the job. So I dont get over charged being a woman. I would appreciate your estimate.

[]
. Sounds like just a new flush valve with push buttons to replace syphon/handle + job cost...Maybe £80 - £100 if cistern can remain.

The old cistern is OLD it had a push down lever system that sat in the middle of the top of lid. The lever was on a rod like thing inside and came out and was about 2" wide and about 1" thick and all the workings are plastic now as they have been replaced twice and the preasure you have to use to flush any way, breaks easily. Have you any idea what I am talking about. :)

[]
. Sounds like just a new flush valve with push buttons to replace syphon/handle + job cost...Maybe £80 - £100 if cistern can remain.

never estimate without seeing a job.
depending on access and altering mains water feed.
should be in/out in 2 hours top.

Would I be able to do myself with diagrams, I am just worried about the pipe leading from the toilet to the cistern, do they do porcelain cistern like this anymore, and where could I buy one, I am in Hampshire. But was an upminster in Essex girl originally, so any near there I may be able to buy one when visiting family.

:)

have you any pics as said you can buy a conversion dual fush valve button etc to tart yours up and keep the cistern.

otherwise changing the cistern is only a matter of lining the flushpipe up,
marking where to screw the cistern to the wall.
the hardest bit will probaly be the altering of the mains water pipe.
but many of the low level cistern you can have the fill entry left/right.

as for buying a cistern up this way (upminster not far from me.) alot of the builders merchants do what they call builders suites as in you can buy the whole set or just buy a cistern, pan etc on its own.

alot of places now do complete cistern/pans for £49 complete.

have you any pics as said you can buy a conversion dual fush valve button etc to tart yours up and keep the cistern.

otherwise changing the cistern is only a matter of lining the flushpipe up,
marking where to screw the cistern to the wall.
the hardest bit will probaly be the altering of the mains water pipe.
but many of the low level cistern you can have the fill entry left/right.

as for buying a cistern up this way (upminster not far from me.) alot of the builders merchants do what they call builders suites as in you can buy the whole set or just buy a cistern, pan etc on its own.

alot of places now do complete cistern/pans for £49 complete.

Thanks thats good to know, last question I promise can you recommend anywhere? or web sites that I can have a look at.

bq are doing complete close coupled wc £58
always look abit nicer than a low level wc

alot of the buliders merchants don't show the buliders range on their web sites.
i know our local one you have to ask for them. as there out the back.

bq are doing complete close coupled wc £58
always look abit nicer than a low level wc

alot of the buliders merchants don't show the buliders range on their web sites.
i know our local one you have to ask for them. as there out the back.

Thanks for all your help. Have a good week

Funny20Animation20311.gif

you to

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back