Cistern Lid Problem - dodgy bathroom installation...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Folks,
we have had a bit of a saga with a new bathroom. Our 10 day quote has not gone to over 2 months... However, i shall get to the point which is: can anyone recommend a flat lid to fit on Hadrian High Level Cistern?

Te long story is as follows... Our high level cistern was installed and when we asked for the lid to be put on it, it doesn't fit. The lid has a decorative ridge at the back and this doesn't fit as the wall behind it slopes....

The bathroom fitter has made every excuse under the sun to try and avoid responsibility for the measuring error they've made. And because of the shape of the room, I don't want it lowered (I don't want the contractor back, enough is enough!).

Anyone???
Thanks,
S.

Sponsored Links
Fail to see how the existing lid can not be made to fit.

Not sure what you mean by "the wall behind it slopes".

Mind you - when a customer shows a printout out with Victoria Plumbing on the top most plumbers' hearts sink like a stone.

2nd on pictures.

For the sounds of it, could a little of the plaster be removed from behind the cistern lid ? When the lids fitted it wouldn't be seen and the lid would fit right. A bit of a bodge I know, but you can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear and all that.

Sponsored Links
What's the point of an upstand at the back of a HL cistern lid?
Only Dan and I would be able to see it.

Flat replacement, good luck with that. There are 1001 different sizes and models. Most manufacturers only sell complete shells nowadays.

Get a glass cutter, score between the horizontal surface and the upstand, then chip away, carefully.

Who actually purchased the toilet?

Thanks do the replies.
I've posted a picture at //www.diynot.com/network/ahoy/albums/
The angle from the grey paint to the white is approximately 20degrees.
We approached a local company to source the goods but they were unable to do the install in time so recommended another chap they use. The company measure the bathroom and ordered the furniture and the actual fitter did everything else.

We don't want to lower it as it is already low due to the sloping wall.
S.

Possibilty of a few spacers behind the fixing screws will take it away from the wall enough to give the lid room to sit on the cistern.

Pete

Context is everything.

But as far as having it lower goes - it may well be a case of "tough".

You will not get a different lid to fit.

As suggested - try cutting off the upstand at the back.

Alternatively get a cut out made in the slope to accommodate the lid.

It will look daft though.

I take it you approved the choice of products?

Indeed.
To be fair, the shop we used are nice chaps and I don't blame them. I assumed the fitter would have measured up. Been one excuse after another.
I wonder about a cut out into the wall or seeing if the ridge can be cut down - it's high and masked by the shower so it would have to be a tall person to see it! How 'simple' is that to get done?
Thanks,
S.

The other option is buy a new cistern which can be retro-fitted to the current space. I just don't think we should be out of pocket any more!
S.

How simple depends on what is in the slop. It could be easy enough with a bit of creative plasterwork.

You are kind of stuffed. One person measured and designed the room. You approved it. Some other person had to fit it.

Or at least that's how I understand it.

Regardless of other cock ups, this is not really the installers fault per se.

Us tallies are getting more common BTW. 6'7". I see everything that others think they have gotten away with. Including the missus' selective OCD for cleaning.

We don't want to lower it as it is already low due to the sloping wall.
Surely it only needs to drop another inch or 2 to accommodate the upstand. Is that really too much?

How low is "already low"?

And because of the shape of the room, I don't want it lowered (I don't want the contractor back, enough is enough!)We don't want to lower it as it is already low due to the sloping wall.

Nit picking IMHO you will have to compromise and lower it, or ....... beat hole in sloping roof, better still put a dormer in to accommodate extra height, ditch lid and put hardboard over the Victorians and people after used to do that when the lid broke seen it many times when apprentice so has an authentic look.

If I was the plumber I would have taken it down and left it on the floor for being unreasonable and I would have made the decision not to come back.

As charnwood said what is 1 or 2 inches. and SORRY, Dan is correct, you picked it knowing where it was going.???????

Plumbing tip from picture: if you put it sideways the water will fall out, tip,observation gleamed from many many years of experience, which you can have free.

Off to the beach its a sunny day.:cool:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back