Citroen Despatch 59 plate

Reaction score
Country
Barbados
Why do they cost so much to service and/or when they break down, everytime mine goes in for a 25k service its round about a grand, each time they find it needs discs/pads all round, plus the obligatory bulbs that just happen to blow as you pull onto the forecourt.

The last service at 75k was the same but this time needed a crank end seal, DM flywheel, clutch, both front wishbones, BULBS, luckily the warranty covered most of those but the service was still over a grand :evil:

Last monday it broke down in the fast lane of the M62, EGR valve capput, lost all power but somehow managed to find some gaps and stop on the hard shoulder. Well over a week later i finally got it back :p all happy till i saw the bill...............£1658 :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: , for a bloody EGR valve and labour surely not? Well err no, rear discs and pads, BULBS, a windscreen (which we paid for seperate) and an MOT

Apparently the warranty ran out the day before it broke down as it reached 3 years old, in any case mileage was over 100,000k so no warranty on both counts, we have to keep the vans for at least another year due to the contract :evil: , looks like they're gonna get expensive.

The ironic thing is on the morning it broke down the little buzzer sounded on the dash and it said 'oil', well it was probably just a touch low on the sensor so i would top up later in the week.............guess what, after everything they found wrong with the van and bill the company £1658 they didn't even top the bloody oil up....how crap is that!

Sponsored Links
I think this applies to most modern cars which is why many of us on here do our own repairs, I would have thought you ought to be able to find a cheaper/more honest garage though.

Peter

I think this applies to most modern cars which is why many of us on here do our own repairs, I would have thought you ought to be able to find a cheaper/more honest garage though.

Peter

To keep the warranty valid it has to be serviced by the dealer but now that the warranty has run out I guess we can take them where we like which from now on the company probably will.

Sponsored Links
I think they play on that when under warranty, I'm sure you will able to find somewhere much more reasonable. A friend on mine used to have a garage in Ilkeston, if you are anywhere near there I can ask him for a reccomendation.

Peter

Ah yeah ilson, not far away probably 20mins, spoke to the office today and it looks likely that each engineer will just take their van to a local garage as and when required.

I know for a fact we won't be getting french again, they wouldn't of been my choice but what we do get in a years tie is anyones guess, hope theres some decent vans out this time next year :(

Personally I only run Citroen/Peugeot, have done for about 25 years, I started using them because they had the most refined diesels and most comfortable ride, they still make some of the best diesel engines especially the early ones but even the later ones seem more reliable than others. I am convinced that most of the engine problems on modern diesels are due to the ridiculously long oil change intervals.

Peter

How right you are Peter.
Unfortunately I feel we will soon see a slide into unreliability of the diesel engine.....all manufacturers are suffering from injector issues, turbo problems, egr failures et al - and that goes for BMW, Merc and Volvo.
Izuzu for example are suffering injector failures by the score, and are actually honouring warranty claims on 10 year old vehicles - and the official claim is that they don't know why they are failing.
I've just seen to one recently......a huge wiring loom encased on the top of the engine (in line 4), the wiring shaking about with the engine rock, huge temperatures at the top of the cylinder head and to cap it all, a plastic topped stepper motor nestling comfortably on the top of the turbo.
Yeah, right.
John :)

Hi John

Yes I have been watching the 'progress' of modern diesels on Honest Johns forum, even expensive brands don't seem imune. The early PSA units seem almost bombproof, I have a 406 Hdi that's covered well over 200k and a C5 with 189k, both original as far as I can tell, including the DMFs :eek: Made until 05 the 2.0 Hdi seems the best, I have seen a number for sale with over 300,000 miles on and a few with 400k+ and they are simpler and easier to work on with an excellent fuel consumption - except the 2.2 - give them a miss :(

Peter

Sponsored Links
Back