free advertising?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
this week i booked my car in the dealers for an oil change and they rang me to say it will need 2 new tyres as well.
£470 later :eek: i picked up the car and noticed something did'nt look right at the front,then i realised they had changed the number plates front and rear with their own with their website at the bottom.
They had also put a new tax disc holder in and another sticker on the back window.they never asked me if they could do this and they must have disposed of the original plates.what pi55es me of is that when i needed a new indicator bulb they rang me up to authorise this :confused:
at the end of the day i am now driving a car that everyone thinks that i bought from THAT dealer and should i charge them for advertising.i know it sounds petty but after spending nearly £2000 for them to service and replace items on my car i think its a liberty.rant over.

Sponsored Links
Jees wept....as them tyres got gold treads.Seems a lot of spondulics for 2 tyres and oil change,Four tyres on my swedish lass didn't even come to that...i would have thought if anything,You should have got a discount for making your car look like an hoarding. :D

ohmygodwhathaveyoudone said:
at the end of the day i am now driving a car that everyone thinks that i bought from THAT dealer and should i charge them for advertising.i know it sounds petty but after spending nearly £2000 for them to service and replace items on my car i think its a liberty.rant over.
Doesn't sound petty, charge them! Or have them replace everything in the original non-advertising items. I would send an invoice, week after week to them. An normal small ad in a weekly paper costs around £ 150 - 200 a go, you're driving on a daily base = 7 x 175 = 1.225 a week.
Go for it

I usually just lurk on these forums but your post has compelled me to speak.
I would be outraged at what they have done and would be demanding that the car be returned to the condition it was in when you dropped it off. They cannot go changing things on your car without your authorisation - no way.

I would be furious (I don't like garages much).

Sponsored Links
Stick your free advertising on their showroom windows and see how they like it :)

thanks for the input everyone.the people that i have told about this have gone ballistic and say contact saab uk and the dealer principle at the garage.i will ring them now and see what they say.will post back in a minute.

took them an hr to ring me back and the only thing they can do is replace the plates with NO dealer details on.they also gave me an apology.woopy doo.still annoyed though. :cry:

speak to their head man and make it plain you are going to speak to the local papers/tv and trading standards

took them an hr to ring me back and the only thing they can do is replace the plates with NO dealer details on.they also gave me an apology.woopy doo.still annoyed though. :cry:

Not meant to be a snotty comment, but what do you want them to do to make it right ? This is a common problem with complaints that people want someone to acknowledge their unhappiness, but don't think through what would make a satisfactory resolution, so end up getting more and more bent out of shape.

So what do you think would adequately redress the situation ?

johny t.
the problem has been resolved with new plates and no advertising.its the principal that matters.
yeah, well, the £470 you paid them originally . . . . guess what, an oil change and 2 tyres does not cost that much. maybe £300 tops. You paid £170 to have 2 guys fit new plates and stickers on your car. This is the top and bottom of it im afraid. you been dun.

There are some people out there who would bite your arm off if you offered them one tyre for their car at £470...

ban-all-sheds said:
There are some people out there who would bite your arm off if you offered them one tyre for their car at £470...
what do they drive? a leyland olympian?
h108rwt.jpg

on a related note, i wonder if that advert on that bus is free? :LOL:

ohmygodwhathaveyoudone wrote
this week i booked my car in the dealers for an oil change and they rang me to say it will need 2 new tyres as well.

Out of curiosity how worn were your existing tyres?

I had a service in spring and the dealer phoned me saying that I needed two new front tyres as at 2.1mm and 2.2mm they were close to the new limit.
I said I knew a new legal limit was on the cards, but I didnt think it was out yet, so surely its still 1.6mm?

They replied saying, well technically your right but we were just thinking of your safety. They then typed on the receipt that I had declined their recommendation.

I replaced the tyres last month and got around another 10K miles out of them.

Sponsored Links
Back