Cityfibre and location of ONT

You can try it but they may not want to run the fibre in with a bunch of cables in case of mechanical damage. Is there room for the green tube that they use to protect the fibres outside?
I'm very reluctant to go drilling 25mm holes through joists to fit tubing just to thread a 4mm fibre. The conduit does nothing to add mechanical protection.

Bottom line is this thread has given me areas to research and it'll be down to a conversation with the installers whether I go ahead or not.

Sponsored Links
Why would you drill a 25mm hole to feed a small cable through. Flexible conduit is available in various diameters ie
even 10mm internal is big enough for a fibre cable which would only need a 13mm hole in the joist. And is what I used.

Last edited:
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Why would you drill a 25mm hole to feed a small cable through. Flexible conduit is available in various diameters ie
even 10mm internal is big enough for a fibre cable which would only need a 13mm hole in the joist. And is what I used.
Equally why would I drill any hole when the existing cables run in notches in the tops of the joists. Or I could drill 5mm holes to thread 4mm fibre. If the installer fits the connector before installing the cable, then a 14mm hole would be needed to pass a SC/APC through.

In any event, conduit serves little purpose.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Equally why would I drill any hole when the existing cables run in notches in the tops of the joists.
Because cables in notches like that can easily be damaged.

In any event, conduit serves little purpose.
You have 2 parallel cable routes prepared, running through joists under floorboards.

One is a run of conduit. The other is a series of holes through joists.

Which do you think would be easier to get the cable through?

Sponsored Links
I spoke to CityFibre and discussed what I was after. They were fairly relaxed about it and happy to run through notches or holes in joists provided they're relatively straight. Also happy to run 25m from the OTU through the house if I want. Only stipulation was to allow for a bend radius of around 50mm and enough space to work safely.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back