Cladding concrete steps with decking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have some ugly concrete steps which lead from the backdoor into the garden, I want to clad these with decking. I am looking for advice on the best way to fix the decking boards to the concrete steps and risers. I will orientate the decking board in the expected direction i.e. so each step will take about 3 boards, and each riser 2 boards.

Options I have thought about:
1) Directly fix the boards to the concrete (maybe with a rubber sheet underneath to absorb some of the force when used)
2) Fix wooden bearers on each step (maybe every 400mm) and then screw the deck board to these bearers.

I don't want the steps to sound hollow when they are used hence why I thought rubber mating might be needed if fixing directly to the concrete.

Thanks in advance.

James

Sponsored Links
it would probably be cheaper, easier and a much better result to lay some slabs on them.

Decking is treacherous when wet and whilst large decks have their place it is a bad material choice for pathways and steps etc.

Why the move away from slabs?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back