Claim for water damage to living room.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I received a call this morning from my two elderly neighbours who had just returned from holiday to see if I could detect a leak in their living room. What a mess there is too. The source of the leak is from the inlet valve on the WC cistern in the bathroom upstairs. This is a pretty old cistern and the internal washer had perished to the point where it was no longer providing a seal. Because the cistern is behind a laminate facia board it was not immediately obvious that the leak was from the loo.

The washer is now replaced but a lot of damage has been caused. The bathroom carpet was very wet as was the carpet in the living room and though both of these will eventually dry out they are bound to suffer from shrinkage and need to be replaced. Also there is damage to the ceiling (starting to go green) and wall of the living room.

Is it normally possible to claim on their house insurance policy for this type of thing? I had a quick browse at their policy schedule and it specifies, albeit rather vaguely, escape of water and accidental damage. There is a £50 excess for all claims. Any advice would be much appreciated. ;)

Sponsored Links
Fair point and I suppose an obvious one. My own experience with insurance companies is that they will try to fob off their customers with a lame rebuttal of any such liability if they feel they can do so successfully. They will do this especially so when they perceive the would-be applicant/s as being unlikely to contend the issue. These are elderly folk and perhaps more disposed to accepting the company declining the claim than other people.

I had a quick browse at their policy schedule and it specifies, albeit rather vaguely, escape of water and accidental damage.

Obviously covered then. :confused:

Phone them in the morning for a claim form.

Sponsored Links
another fly in the ointment may be if they havent updated for a few years and the dammage is in the thousands they may say they are under insured by say 20% for example and the dammage is put at £5.000
they would only get £3.960 [after £50 excess] because they are now getting only 80% of the value :rolleyes:

Good points, chaps. I will get them to apply for the claim form and deal with the issue of being under insured should it arise. Thanks for your help. ;)

What ever you do be honestand up front with the insurance company.

That (in my experience) gets the claim settled far quicker and with the best return.

claim form??? you lot obviously havent dealt with insurers for a loong time! :LOL:

Almost all Insurance cos will cover damage cause wy water leaks!

Some wil cover tracing the leak as well but not all !

None that I have ever seen will cover mending the leak though.

Most of the work is often tracing the leak!

Tony

Sponsored Links
Back