Clap / Voice Activated light switches

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have recently bought a house, and my partner is in a wheelchair and in a few weeks I will be rewiring the house.

I am aware you can buy clap activated switches in the US, and even some voice activated ones. Has anyone come across the 240v uk versions of these?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Not seen them, but they are not needed and are likely to be an unreliable and expensive option.

If the whole place is being rewired, the switches and sockets should be put at the appropriate heights to comply with building regulations - the whole point of that being so that they are easy to reach.

If the whole place is being rewired, the switches and sockets should be put at the appropriate heights to comply with building regulations - the whole point of that being so that they are easy to reach.

Yes, they will be set at the height required by part M of the building code, but still quite incovenient if you need to transfer from the sofa to a chair to turn a light on/off ect, which is something of a struggle for her. Hence the question.

Varilight have a complete range of IR/Touch dimmers which would be ideal for a disabled person..

Sponsored Links
As you are having the place re-wired consider having ordinary switches fitted that operate 2 way switching with the remote ( or sound ) operated switch. This will allow control of the light by normal use of the switch on the wall and also operation by remote control.

The only cost implication is installing 2 way switches with 3 core and earth to the location of the remotely controlled "switch" and the need to use remote controlled units with a relay change over ( two way ) switch instead of the cheaper solid state one way units.

Unfortunately the company I used to supply a suitable remote controlled switch ceased trading a few years ago.

At a school I went to, there was a long corridor in one building. At each end was a box of tricks, connected to a microphone/sound detector, and a PIR. During lessons, the lights would extinguish. As soon as a door clicked and creaked open, the lights would come on.

Not sure about clap detectors though.

We have recently bought a house, and my partner is in a wheelchair and in a few weeks I will be rewiring the house.

I am aware you can buy clap activated switches in the US, and even some voice activated ones. Has anyone come across the 240v uk versions of these?

Cheers

Is this what you are after? Clicky Thingy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back