Clarification of ceiling fan position in bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm in the process of planning a re-wire of my house (going down the notification route and doing it myself). I'd like to get some clarification on what zone my bathroom fan is actually in at present.

Only considering the bath it would be in zone 2. However there is a shower in the bath attached to a hose as opposed to being a fixed shower. Does the vertical position or furthest reach of the shower head play any part in determining the actual zones.

Notes on the diagram:
Blue dot is the approximate normal position of the shower head
Green square is the approximate location of ceiling fan (IPx4 rated)
Red shading shows area within 1.2m of shower head - its not intended to mean zone 1, I know thats the whole bath.

If the fan is not ok in this position I guess replacing it with an in-line fan would be acceptable?

Thanks
Barry.

Sponsored Links
what is the ceiling height?

In-line or SELV either would be ok..

apparently the area above the bath to a height of 2.25M from the bottom of the bath is zone 1..

zone 2 extends horizontaly 600mm from the edge of zone 1.. and up to a height of 2.25M

Near enough 2.4m. Its about 2.37m high. The decorative plastic cover of the fan protrudes about 10-15mm. The existing fan is mains voltage.

an inline fan suitably mounted on AV mounts and such will likely be quieter for those middle of the night trips that occur as you get older..

Sponsored Links
Just out of interest, should the 2.25 Metre height of zone 1 be measured from the floor, or the bottom of the bath, which could be, say, 0.2M above the floor?

it's coblers anyway.. I'm 6 foot 4 so my arms reach from floor level is way above 2.25M... it also means I have a 6 foot 4 arm span ( your arm span is supposed to be the same as your height JOOI )

With that ceiling height your fan is out of zones so dont worry. I'd still replace it with a decent axial in-line fan in the loft space anyway, assuming the existing fan is a weedy little radial.

Liam

Thanks for the advice. When the time comes I'll replace it with in an inline fan in the loft.

an inline fan suitably mounted on AV mounts and such will likely be quieter for those middle of the night trips that occur as you get older..

Are you casting aspersions on his protate? ;)

you're jumping to conclusions that balcock is a man....

and no I wasn't casting anything at the OP's protrate.. it's just the facts.. as you get older you tend to need to pee in the middle of the night.. especially when several pints of beer are involved...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back