clarify 17th please

Many a T.T installation were protected by a single RCD as an incomer,albeit 100mA t.d :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Many a T.T installation were protected by a single RCD as an incomer,albeit 100mA t.d :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Yes, to minimise problems - 100mA time delayed in conjunction with a 30mA RCD.
That's not the same as having a 30mA RCD protection the whole installation.

This is the scenario we always used...

"You are 79 years old. The time is 9.30 p.m. It is December, it's dark and the weather is cold.
You come from the bathroom on the first floor, just on top of the stairs. The thermostat of the central heating comes on, a neutral to earth fault on the pump trips the residual current device on the distribution board. As this is the incoming device all supply is lost in the home. No lights. What happens next..."

(3)earthed metal covering,is this capping, i thought i had read somewhere that metal capping is'nt acceptable,or is it because it's earthed,how do you earth it,

(2) As long as it is RCD protected you can use capping; most will still use plastic capping, as it doesn't have to be earthed.

Just to clarify, you can NOT use earthed metal capping as a way of avoiding the need to RCD protect the circuit. I know that is the point you were making, but I misread it first time, so thought I would make sure no one else does :)

Sponsored Links
I'll stick my neck out again and say that personally, I don't think that split-load boards fully satisfy the regs, whether 16th or 17th.

To me, there is only one solution.

John? ;)

You're John's brother!

Must be, you live in a neighbouring county....

thanks for all the replys,a bit clearer now,
it looks like the general solution with a wylex rewireable cu,is to put a rcd unit at the side of the existing one.but what if the original ring cables won't reach the new rcd,what do you lot do then?

thanks for the reply sherbertlion,do you mean crimping.won't it look a bit untidy,and would there be room in a small wylex cu.

Don't see why not. If there's room for cable in the CU then there should be room enough for the extra width added by the crimps. Or use a JB screwed to the wall near units, or connector block in a chocbox. Not the pretiest but practical.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back