Clay chimney liner support?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have a 30yr old house with an open fireplace and a clay lining (within a brick cavity). In the loft I can see through a gap in the brick through to the lining so I am pretty sure there is no filler between the 2 – certainly not all the way up..

Anyway, I wish to remove the open fire and open out the opening (both for width and height) to have a log burner fitted. I am hoping to have the clay liner cleaned but then have a stainless lining installed within the clay liner.

My question is, what is supporting the tall clay lining stack? If I remove the open fire liner is the whole clay lining stack going to then fall down?

With thanks!

Sponsored Links
Your clay liner comes in a number of separate pieces - its not one long piece.
The replacement SS liner comes, of course, in a single flexi length.

Your clay flue liner might have had supporting components built-in at the base of the first liner piece around or above the fire back. But its a site call to determine exactly whats in-place.
Typically, there should be no movement when you remove the fire back and expand the opening for the log burner.

Long drill bits could be driven through the face of the c/breast, through the edges of the liner, & into the back wall. A couple of 1/2" or 5/8" re-bars (or similar) could then be inserted. The steels are left in supporting positions.
This should leave room for dropping the SS flexi liner through & down to connect with the appliance.

You should smoke test before any work and gaps such as the one in the loft should be sealed.

Thanks, that sounds like a good way to support the flue. Ive drilled through the blockwork to expose some of the liner at the breast, the void between the liner and blockwork is empty so I can only imagine its supported only by the firebrick structure. The gap in the loft was only in the blockwork surround, not the actual clay liner. I guess as long as I can support the flue in a permanent manner I can just stainless line as normal.

I was referring to any gaps in the blockwork surround ie the actual flue walls not the flue liner.

A photo of the work so far might help?

Do you have the log burner Mfr's dimensions for the opening?

Sponsored Links
Ill get some photos tonight. I dont have dimensions of the burner, I was trying to work the other way and see what maximum size I can have with the width of opening I have.

I understand what you are saying but the idea is to work to the Mfr's dimensions. If you want a larger opening its best to call them for a view. Its probably OK but there might be consequences.

Hi, I know this is an extremely old post! Just wondering how you got on with supporting the clay lining as we have the same and are in the process of wanting to open our fireplace for a log burner?

The O.P has long gone and Vinn morphed into bobasd

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back