cleaning a pond

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i've just fitted a preformed plastic pond and a load of dirt and sand has found it's way in. There is no leak, but rather some of the sand fell in when I was fitting it. I don't know how the dirt got there (possible blown by wind or maybe decomposed plant material. The pond has nothing in it but water. I was wondering how I could just remove the sand, which is only a thin layer, but very visible as it's brown. Would I have to remove all the water (rather avoid having to do that) or is there some other method. I have seen cheap vacuums advertised that work by ataching a fitting to an existing hose pipe. This somehow creates a suck effect and all the debris is collected in a sack whilst the water is returned. Don't know if these work? Anyone got any advice?

thanks.

Sponsored Links
Syphon it out with a hose, once you get the syphon flowing it will act like a vacuum cleaner and draw the sand up with it.

I wouldn't worry too much as given a month or so your pristene fibreglass will have a nice coating of alge all over it :D and a layer of debris from plants, fish waste, blown in dirt etc.

Jason

as jason says not much point in removing any dirt thats got into it, its the eco-system of the pond starting to be created. The best way to think of it is as a compost heap, thats trying to find its natural balance for all the things that are in it

Sponsored Links
Better than a Vac is to build your pond with a bottom drain to feed your filter and return the water tangentally so that the water rotates in the pond and flushes all the muck into the bottom drain. And a surface skimmer will take care of any floating debris.

I can dump the waste in my pond filters in 30secs and no hassel with vacs and hoses. This acts as a water change as well and don't forget to refill through a water purifier, my Koi have better water than I drink ;)

Sorry if that puts you out of a job Thermo :LOL:

I t all depends on what you want out of your pond and what amount of time you want to put into it.

Jason

well it's only a small pond (850l capacity I think) and If I do keep a few fish in it they will be of the small variety. I'm looking for the cheapest and easiest way to maintain the pond with creating drains. It's a preformed pond and is installed so I don't want to mess around with it. Any tips on what plants to put into it? there are a few shelves to put them on and I'm aslo thinking of a small pump to create a little fountain effect. How do I figure out which pump to go for?

any help will be much appreciated

I've also got a small pond in the front garden with a few comets & sherbumkins I use a Hozelock Bioforce filter & UV which keeps the water clear and this is fed by an Oase pump.

As for plants go to a decent aquatic outlet rather than a garden center a small water lily, some oxygenating plant and some marginals will do.

Jason

how do you attach a "Hozelock Bioforce filter & UV" and how much does it cost? Is it something that needs to permannetly sit inside the pond and does it run on electricity. I don't fully understand how the filter works, where it attaches to the pump and where it sits. Also, does it need to be switched on permanantly or just once a week. I need to get mains electricity from my shed and near to the pond so that I can fit a small pump. Not sure how I calculate the size and type of pump I need as I would like a bit of a bubbling fountain as well as using it with a filter. Anyone recomend a decent pump for my small 850l pond?

A pond a compost heap - I DON'T THINK SO

I do! its full of decomposing vegetable and animal matter being acted upon by the sun, heat and gases in the water. I do agree that it is cleaned out periodically to keep the level of it down

seneca, you may be better off with a combined pump/filter/UV such as this one it will work out cheaper than a pump and separate filter and you won't need a waterproof switch box. The same company has details of the bioforce filter.

Jason

i woulod suggest getting off your soap box and reading whats been said that way you may not put peoples backs up on the forum regardless of wether you mean to cause offence or not, especially with your final comments.
Ive never advocated leaving fish ponds to rot or said anything for or against natural ponds etc etc. I merely stated that most ponds will fall into this state because most people are not as enthusiastic as you are in the care for their fish and this is how nature deals with them in the absence of human intervention. The original poster is talking about a brand new pond that has a small amount of dirt that goes in it. I can see the value of both natural and filtered ponds, and both can suceed quite happily. I clean ponds and install, repair and maintain filter systems. If everyone did it weekly or monthly i would be a rich man, but theyre lucky if they do it once a year. Im regualrly up to my armpits in sludge cleaning them out where people have left them for 2-3 years and the fish are quite healthy.

I understand your thoughts and your knowledge and experiance based on your love for the koi, but dont make me to be an uncaring animal lover, by throwing animal welfare legislation at me. That way you may make more friends on the forum rather than winding people up

Jasonb said:
Syphon it out with a hose, once you get the syphon flowing it will act like a vacuum cleaner and draw the sand up with it.
How would he siphon it out? Surely the end of the pipe that's not in the pond would have to be lower than the one at the bottom of the pond. As it's already buried in the ground, surely this would mean digging a hole deeper than the pond? :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back