Cleaning brick prior to DnD

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry for the poor photo, I can put a better one up this evening if needed.

I've removed all the plaster/render from my living room walls with the intention to PVA and Dot & dab them.

Question is how clean do the walls need to be prior to this? Do I need to scrub them down with a wet brush? Or worse get a wire brush out?

Brick work is all solid and dry (they're all internal walls)

Sponsored Links
AS long as they are sound and dust free. Get loose off and then I would clean them down with a wet soft sweeping brush the day before. If they dry very quickly, It might be worth wetting them again before sticking the boards.

They look like they have enough of a key .

anyone else?

I would give them a tidy brush down with a sweeping brush and dab straight on them, do'nt bother with pva. If you are weary of this then do a test piece.

Don't dot & dab any gypsum based plasterboard (& that includes Fireline) around that fire opening unless the fire you install is nothing other than for visual effect. If it’s to be a proper stove with real heat output, you need to do something else; if you regularly expose gypsum (plaster or boards) to more than 50 degrees & it will fail in a very short time.

And don't tell Building Control you’ve pulled all the plaster off the external wall or you could get a nasty shock! ;)

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies.

We're installing a wood stove so around the fire we'll use concrete render to be safe.

The wall in question is shared with the neighbour so it's an internal wall, what is the issue of removing plaster from external walls before I go and strip the house!?

We're installing a wood stove so around the fire we'll use concrete render to be safe.
Use sand/cement/lime render with heatproof plaster within 300mm either side & 80mm above the stove. Here’s a link to some archive info, not all may be relevant;
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=250732

The wall in question is shared with the neighbour so it's an internal wall, what is the issue of removing plaster from external walls before I go and strip the house!?
It’s to do with changing a thermal element (the plaster on external walls amongst other things); if you remove more than 24%, Building Regulations require that the wall insulation is upgraded to current standards; also applies to external render. Not many know about it & many do it & don’t get found out but we’ve had a couple on here get caught out when Building Inspectors have visited to carry out inspections on other notifyable work.

By the way installing a wood burner is notifyable work unless you use a HETAS registered installer but it’s all in the link I posted.

Can someone also recommend a good adhesive? I have seen adhesives in spray cans and then there are the powdered stuff you mix yourself but what is the best and who makes it?

Either are good, foam needs strict time keeping or boards will be pushed away from the wall, it is cleaner in some respects and quicker. Dont get the foam on your skin as it stays there until the skin comes off. I would say the plaster board adhesive (wickes and b&q sell it) which you mix up and dab would be far easier for a DIYer.

You are right steve, it's best over a true wall or if the wall is pretty flat and the wall doesnt need to be spot on, it is however fast and isnt hydroscopic.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back