Cleaning brushes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What is the best way and what cleaners are best for cleaning brushes that have been used for oil based paint, is paraffin an option?

Sponsored Links
Yes. Best way is to leave them soaking for 24 hours so the paint chemicals break down. Try it - you'll see a huge difference.

Over the years I have tried dozens of different brands.

The ONLY one that I found works properly is the Dulux Trade Brush Cleaner and Renovator.

It evaporates very slowly so I can be lazy and leave the brushes in for weeks.

Unfoetunaetly it is only available from Dulux Decorator Centres and only in 2.5L jerry cans.

It stinks, like a weak amonia/ cats wee.

I soak the brushes in white spirit for a couple of days first and then remove as much of the white spirit before putting the brush in the cleaner. Later I rinse the brushes in water.

Even though it is the best cleaner on the market I hate brush cleaning so I have loads of BrushMates and leave them in there for as long as possible- works out much cheaper.

Sponsored Links
I can't stand cleaning brushes and the smell from my brush mate gave me headaches for hours after opening the things, was like shooting a load of poppers. Even worse trying to get a brush out on a hangover.

I now have my brushes suspended in white spirit and then try to clean them out with hot water but in truth I usually get new brushes with most jobs - the harris brushes are so cheap and decent enough quality.

Might try the paint cleaner from Dulux, I'm always in the decorating centre so might be worth a try, could save me a few quid and I'd maybe even consider buying some Purdy or Hamilton brushes if I found an easy way to clean.

Hi Andy

Wooster are better than Purdy.

Downside is that they don't do the discounted multipacks.

Opps- forgot to mention that the wooster brushes are crap in the brushmate 4- handle a tad too long and they fall off of the clips.

An old timer that works for me from time to time just leaves his brushes in transmission oil.

Thanks all,
After soaking the brushes in paraffin should i wash them out with washing up liquid before i use them again

What is the best way and what cleaners are best for cleaning brushes that have been used for oil based paint, is paraffin an option?

im a painter and my advice would be white spirit or a turpentine substitute but dont bash the brushes off the bottom of the pot as the furrell [ the metal bit holding the bristles together] will actually cut the bristles you might not notice at first till u use the brush again and get bristles all over everything

use a swirling motion :) saves the brush which means the brush can be used again which saves the pennies eh :D :LOL:

"Use a swirling motion"- that's apostasy!!!

I swirl rollers with one of those bastaardised spinning top thingies but would never swirl my brushes.

The centrifugal force maligns the hairs.

I flick them left and right (as you look at the brush). It is less effective at removing the water but the brush retains the shape it had when you took it out of the packet.

paraffin really does work and it is great for breaking down gloss paint so it falls out of the brush - much better than white spirit or brush cleaner. It doesn't just dilute it.

the sediment falls to the bottom of the jar so you can pour it off for reuse. You work the brush well to get all the broken-down paint out of the stock

I don't know how paraffin might affect paint the next time, so I rinse it off with white spirit or brush cleaner according to whim, or you can use washing-up liquid which is cheap.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back