Cleaning central heating system

od1

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All, first time on here.

Trying to get some advice on cleaning our C/H system. I have have just had a Worcester Bosch 28i condensing boiler fitted, replacing old emersion / water tank system. It has been connected up to old rads and pipes.

The guys who fitted it said that having a power flush was a con and expensive he quoted 500 pounds for a 7 rad system - which i thought was a lot? he then said he could clean it with chemicals and this would be included in the price.

I now suspect that they did not clean it with anything as a few things they have said and the water is gray black and when it settles light grayish with spots of darker brown/orange.

Can anyone please advise what i should do, next? will this unclean water damage my new boiler? it has become noisier over the past couple of weeks since we had it fitted. if so what can you recommend?

Many thanks
Olly

Sponsored Links
I would call the manufacturer and ask whether or not they guidance has been followed. If not, then your installer may have invalidated the warranty, in which case you could sue his arse off.

Whist Softus has your best interests at heart, while are waiting for the legal people to decide how much to charge, you could do something practical.

That would be fitting a "Magnaclean" to the return pipe of your central heating circuit.

This bit of kit has the ability to prevent the magnetite from clogging up the plate heat exchanger of combination boilers. (thats the crud from the existing rads)

I fit them to all installs/replacement boilers and have done so since they acme out.

They wont stop every thing but they do seem to be a well designed bit of kit.

Tim

Whist Softus has your best interests at heart...
And what makes you presume that?

That would be fitting a "Magnaclean" to the return pipe of your central heating circuit.
F*** the Magnaclean - how on earth will that remove the rust flakes and particles?

This bit of kit has the ability to prevent the magnetite from clogging up the plate heat exchanger of combination boilers.
It will do no such thing - the debris is in there already.

They wont stop every thing...
At last - some realism.

od1, read the FAQs and the Wiki, which together give you chapter and verse on cleaning the system yourself, and come back here if you can't work out how to do it.

Sponsored Links
Softus there,s an old plumbing proverb,

Do naff all and archive nothing.

Do a bit and achive something, but not everything.

All I am trying to point out is that a magnaclean will make a difference.

By the way, when the legal team have finished helping the author of this post I suggest you ask them to obtain you a refund from those Herbert's who sold you the "Charm and Tack in three easy lessons" course.

Tim

Softus there,s an old plumbing proverb,

Do naff all and archive nothing.

Do a bit and achive something, but not everything.
When did I advocate doing nothing?

All I am trying to point out is that a magnaclean will make a difference.
Wrong. The Magnaclean™ will appear to make a difference. This is a very different thing to an achievement.

By the way, when the legal team have finished helping the author of this post I suggest you ask them to obtain you a refund from those Herbert's who sold you the "Charm and Tack in three easy lessons" course.
If the OP immediately does what you recommend, and later wishes to make a claim, then what evidence will there be of any problem?

Since you're into proverbs, have you forgotten that "Fools rush in where angels fear to tread."?

Hey Softus

Could you email me? I am a little concerned about the goings on at that other site!

To the OP, what does the Benchmark Certificate say about water treatment? Did they get CORGI to send you a blue Certificate?

Tony

Moderator 11 said:
This is the Plumbing and Central Heating forum. Not Spelling and Grammar.
As you wish. I shall edit out my references to misspelt words. Will that archive what you want?

...If the OP immediately does what you recommend, and later wishes to make a claim, then what evidence will there be of any problem?...
you mean the Magnaclean will remove it? :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back