Cleaning Fire Soot from inside Dishwasher and Washer...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am trying to find a way to clean the interior of our dishwasher. It is 1 year old and I have damaged it as a result of SOOT clean up. My sister had a major fire in her home and lost everything but a few dishes, blankets and towels. Her insurance company declared everything as a total loss but I did help her salvage some items and put them in my Kenmore Dishwasher. I did approx. 10 loads of soot covered dishes. They were completely black and have appeared to have come clean but now the interior of my dishwasher has completely turned a dull black/grey colour - all the white plastic (vinyl) racks, wheels, sides of the dishwasher, EVERYTHING. I have tried bleach, dishwasher cleaner, Zep Citrus Cleaner and Degreaser. Nothing has worked and it seems to be turning our regular dishes a dark colour now. Is there anything I can do to get this cleaned or is this dishwasher garbage now??? Am I supposed to wipe this with something rather than actually running a full dishwasher cycle?

Same for our washer - I used that to clean some blankets and towels (approx. 10 loads as well) , it has a stainless tub but it appears to only be the rubber liner that has turned grey... It too is a Sears Kenmore Front Loading Washing Machine. I do not see any damage to our Sears Kenmore Front Loading Dryer that was used to dry these blankets and towels.

Can you possibly help with any suggestions? I don’t know which products I need to buy and use to clean this mess I have created for myself?

I am desperate and really in need of some help.

Thanking You. :cry:

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back