Cleaning Gas Line after Soldering and Isolator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Can anyone tell me if in general you guys clean the gas line from meter to boiler after fitting. It's not connected at either end yet so this is a chance to water flush it to remove left over flux etc and let it drain and dry but wondered if this is overkill?

Also regarding gas isolators, there is an isolator tap on the connection into the boiler but is it worthwhile to also put a thumb turn one in just before to give isolation outside of the boiler connections.

thanks

Sponsored Links
Complete overkill. Never heard the like. Just remove flux from your soldered joints on the external surface. :eek:

You don't think an illegal would even contemplate cleaning the insisde of a gas pipe do you? He certainly wouldn't be bothered to come on here and ask for advice.

Sponsored Links
With North Sea gas just wait till the tide comes in twice a day! Sorry whippetwhippet couldn’t resist it. :D

It’s an interesting point though, with plumbing work, we make a big issue of flushing out flux etc partly to prevent corrosion, with gas we just leave it in there!

Regards
footprints

It does little harm left inside, but so many go overboard with excess flux and still insist on fluxing the fitting and pushing all the excess inside the pipe.
Done correctly little or no flux goes inside.

With North Sea gas just wait till the tide comes in twice a day! Sorry whippetwhippet couldn’t resist it. :D

It’s an interesting point though, with plumbing work, we make a big issue of flushing out flux etc partly to prevent corrosion, with gas we just leave it in there!

Regards
footprints

If you use a flux suitable for gas and only flux the pipe noth the fitting any excess will be pushed out. So what's the problem

You don't think an illegal would even contemplate cleaning the insisde of a gas pipe do you? He certainly wouldn't be bothered to come on here and ask for advice.

Your casting your net over a wide area aren't you?
What I said in reply to Agiles instant assumption that it was an illegal gas job was that, why would an illegal bother to ask about cleaning the inside of the pipe?

"Instant assumption" ?

I cannot imagine any gas reg person asking this question.

If any gas reg did ask then it would be in the CC where we discuss gas matters all the time!

The fact that both ends of the gas pipe are open is obviously illegal anyway!

The fact that both ends of the gas pipe are open is obviously illegal anyway![/quote]

:D :D :D :D

i've gotta agree sounds like an illegal install as well, i've never heard an RGI ask about cleaning out flux or fitting a "thumb" gas valve before the boiler & you certainly shouldn't be putting water inside a pipe going to be used for gas, OP if you used a RGI as you should you wouldn't have to ask such stupid questions

Well Tony, I for one don't jump to conclusions like that without asking more questions and at least giving the benefit of the doubt.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back