Cleaning Gas Line after Soldering and Isolator

the fact that both ends of the intended gas pipe are open does not make it illegal in any way, the line has never carried gas and is not currently
carrying gas, so how can a length of copper pipe be illegal :rolleyes:

A gas safe guy is already working on the job but I was just curious as to if the line needing cleaning and if an isolator was needed as I've been put on a back burner for a few weeks while he deals with some breakdowns,,,nice and simple question I thought...

Thanks for those that gave me the benefit of the doubt :) and shame on those people who jumped to conclusions - on what is meant to be a forum to get help and advice :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
the fact that both ends of the intended gas pipe are open does not make it illegal in any way, the line has never carried gas and is not currently carrying gas, so how can a length of copper pipe be illegal :rolleyes:

... and shame on those people who jumped to conclusions ...
You'll have to excuse them, too used to it. I was going to suggest it sounded like a new pipe that isn't, and hasn't been, connected to a gas supply - so nothing illegal at all. Also, contrary to what a lot of RGIs (and others) will tell you, it isn't automatically illegal to work on your own system - though it is highly discouraged for what should be obvious safety reasons.

so myself & Tony were right the OP isn't an RGI, however if he had come on & said i've got a RGI doing some work & then asked the question then i'm sure some of the answers would have been different, but the way it was asked made out that the OP was the one doing the work.

Sponsored Links
...Thanks for those that gave me the benefit of the doubt :) and shame on those people who jumped to conclusions - on what is meant to be a forum to get help and advice :rolleyes:
The questions demonstrated clearly that you are not competent in gas work. You asked the question out of curiosity instead of trying to find out how to botch it yourself (although that excuse has been used many a time by cowboys on here). Tony's deduction, albeit premature, was a logical one. Where he slipped, was on the illegality of the pipe; until a pipe has carried gas, it remains just a pipe and ok to be left open.

Where your installer slipped, is leaving a pipe intended for gas open so dirt, spiders, snails/slugs can get in.

Well Tony, I for one don't jump to conclusions like that without asking more questions and at least giving the benefit of the doubt.

I dont give free benefits!

Since the OP headed his thread as "Gas Line" then I still take the view that its a gas pipe and not just a copper pipe!

Regardless, its always good practice to put a temporary cap on an open pipe. It would not surprise me if some people could even get the sack in siome firms for not doing that.

...Thanks for those that gave me the benefit of the doubt :) and shame on those people who jumped to conclusions - on what is meant to be a forum to get help and advice :rolleyes:
The questions demonstrated clearly that you are not competent in gas work. You asked the question out of curiosity instead of trying to find out how to botch it yourself (although that excuse has been used many a time by cowboys on here). Tony's deduction, albeit premature, was a logical one. Where he slipped, was on the illegality of the pipe; until a pipe has carried gas, it remains just a pipe and ok to be left open.

Where your installer slipped, is leaving a pipe intended for gas open so dirt, spiders, snails/slugs can get in.

I'm not exactly proud of this but more than half a century ago when I was a kid, the local gas board were installing a new gas main into the the bakehouse where I worked as a message boy (that's errand boy for you who live in Englandshire). They had partly installed the galvanised line (about 1 1/2") and left the end open for the night. It took them several days of trial and error before they found the deshelled hard-boiled egg that some young rascal slipped into the line !!

Was it one of the old "Hard Boiled" engineers that finally sorted it out? :D

Yet another good reason for capping off a pipe intended for gas use until the installation is complete.

If you were at work when they came back how did you stop yourself laughing at them when it did not work?

No I was at school but it does illustrate the need for capping off - dirt, bugs and little b*ggers. The minimum I generally use is a piece of masking tape.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back