Cleaning out gutters - any advice?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

Just bought a new house - a small tree appears to be growing out of the gutter on the front of the house so I though I should look at getting them cleaned!
We share the gutters with the 2 adjoing houses and although I want to clean them out I also don't want to break other peoples gutters!
:?: Any advice as to how one should go about cleaning a gutter. Products/ methos etc.
:?: How much would it cost to get a professional to do it? It's a very small house.
Cheers.

Sponsored Links
how high up are the gutters and what are they made of?

i cleaned my own gutters out, with a garden trowel and a bucket

Thermo:
I guess they're made of plastic as the house is only 7 years old.
The house isn't that high - I think basic ladders from B&Q would cover it.

Sponsored Links
if you use a ladder make sure its up at a 1:4 ratio and that theres somewhere there to foot it. Put the top of the ladder just below the gutters and as said before, a small trowel and a bucket will do the trick.
if you are not used to ladders be careful and do NOT overstrech to the sides for the sake of moving the ladder

i dsagree with
Thermo said:
Put the top of the ladder just below the gutters

ideally the ladder should be 3 rungs above

by having the ladder below the gutter, tell mee how is he going to see what he is doing, you could do it if you lean

b

. a

. c

. k

. thump

providing hes not got a large overhanging soffit then its not a problem, and it avoids any danger of damaging the gutter, however if it is a large overhanging soffit then yes i agree with you, it should go above it.

Agree with breezer, but a ladder stay is what you need as well. The one I've got is a slightly different design and has rubber pads which touch the wall so ladder is less likely to slip sideways. The ladder should never rest on the gutter.
MM050320080.jpg

point i was trying to make, but lets not start a bun fight!

The way I've done mine is to modify the downpipe at the ground level and fix a hopper with a mesh, then no need for a ladder and collect the leaves at the bottom !

Very similar to this.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back