Cleo won't switch off

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Don't know if anyone can help but this is the problem.

Girlfriend has an automatic cleo. For the last couple of days it's been running a bit rough.

Today when she came home from work the car carried on running even though she'd taken the key out of the igntion. I don't mean 'running on' but full all lit up electrics and guages as if the key were still in the ignition (which it wasn't). The only way to stop the engine was to remove the battery lead.
When the battery lead was reattached to the battery all the instrument lights came on as if the key was in (which is wasn't).

I'm assuming that the ignition switch has become jammed inside the barrel and the key no-longer has any function.

The things that seem a little odd are:

Is the misfire/rough running connected or coincidence?

I'm sure I've disconnected batteries before and the car has continued to run by voltage from the alternator (whereas this one stops as if you've turned the key off.

I haven't got a manual at the moment so does anyone know if there are any relays under the bonnet that could be sticking or is it the ignitions switch jammed?

Can you get hold of parts to fix it?

Is is difficult to get the old barrel out and the new one in?

Can you get them from the breakers yard or motor factor or is it a genuine expensive part?

Thanks for any help you can give.

joe

Sponsored Links
you say its still stuck in ignition. how does the engine switch off? when you turn the key to off?

andy said:
you say its still stuck in ignition. how does the engine switch off? when you turn the key to off?

It doesn't. the terminals are permanantly fused together.

It's gone to the local garage who have taken it apart.

The price of a new barrel assembly is arounf £150 !!

We are looking for a second-hand one.

joe

Save your monrey - it's the flow switch solenoid energiser relay fusable link isolater coil winding.

Sponsored Links
Softus said:
Save your monrey - it's the flow switch solenoid energiser relay fusable link isolater coil winding.

Give it a rest mate - It's boring.

andy said:

An aside, now Joe is almost sorted...
Notso simple today .... renault with 'card' as opposed to 'ignition key'.. can pull the card and she runs merrily on .. have to press the start/stop button to shut it down .... Then of course the auto handbrake jacks itself on.... I wonder if that would work at speed, don't think I'll try.
:eek: :eek:

Methinks someone is trying to drive you away Joe ... I guess you must be trespassing ... :D :D :D :D :D :D

Back