clio electrical fault - refusing to rev, intermittent proble

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Renault Clio Dynamique 16V 1149CC 2003 (53 plate)

About 8 months ago I had the electrical fault light come up on my renault clio, my car lost power and was refusing to rev, basically taking a fair while to get to 30 mph, and not going much past 40. I think this was the limp home mode. The problem did not return for 2 months, when at that point I took the car to a garage and had a diagnostic, but i dont believe there was any fault codes, or if there were, they weren't relevant (ive been to the garage too many times to remember).

Anyway, every time I experienced the light come on, it would come on a week later, then 4 days later, etc. and the light would come on more and more until it just didnt go off when i restarted my engine (usually restarting my engine would fix it). When this happened the car would generally be ok the next morning but would still return soon, so at this point I took it to a garage. A fault code for an oxygen sensor came up which I had replaced, thinking I had fixed the problem. 2 or 3 months later the problem returned and I had a fault code for a bad throttle position sensor signal. I had the whole throttle body replaced as I was told that the problem was definitely the sensor (sensor is part of the body) and not the wiring loom, and I thought that had fixed the problem.

2 weeks ago the light (and of course the lack of revs) returned. Last week it came on once, then 2 days later the light came on immediately as i turned over the engine, at which point revs dropped to 0 and the car shut down. This happened twice until the car appeared fine after restarting twice, but I do not want to drive it.
Today when I went to check how the car was doing, it struggled to turn over, so I stopped, turned the key back and tried again. The engine turned over but the revs were nearer to 2000 rpm, which i have not seen before. restarted engine and it was fine. Drove around car park a bit just to test a little bit and it seems to work, however given how bad it is not I do not want to drive it, so I am taking to a garage again, with the expectation that the problem will not be solved.

Any ideas anyone? would be really good help.
Thanks a lot

Sponsored Links
How long after replacing the throttle body did the fault return?
If it was a pattern/aftermarket part they are notoriously unreliable.

Sponsored Links
Back