close coupled toilet - advise needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have bought a bungalow which has a close coupled toilet installed. We want to change for a close coupled toilet when we replace the bathroom suite. Can this always be straight forward job?? Obviously the wastepipe currently goes into the ground and being a close couple toilet is set further away from the wall than a normal toilet. Do you have to just move the waster pipe under the ground and move it nearer the wall and then get a different bend on the waste pipe for the new loo?? I shall have to get someone in to sort it but wonder what sort of job it is. 1 plumber said he would have to have a closer look at everything before he could definatley say whether it could be done. I know you can still buy retro close coupled toilets but they are £300 just for the loo and its not the look I am really looking for.

Sponsored Links
This can be quite possible - if your bungalow has a suspended timber floor, and enough space for the loo outlet pipe to double back on itself, in which case a flexible pan connector could suit you well. If you have a solid concrete floor then its much more difficult which will result in resiting the drain. An alternative is to box in the cistern itself, which may or may not be acceptable.

or build a false wall, say 100mm deep and 1000mm high ? that way the distance is sorted and you also get a shelf for your bog roll.. :LOL:

or even a thick shelf at the right height...so as to screw into it through the toilet

Hi,

We live in a bungalow with a very similar problem and have put up with a low flush which has a pipe from the cistern to the pan for years!

I searched for a very long time and exhausted most options in sales rooms and the Internet! I did not want a boxed in type either.

I now have a Close Coulpled/Low Flush, enclosed (No ugly soil pipe or flush pipe on view), which looks really smart. It even copes with feed pipes which you may have boxed in at the back?
I got around it using a model of WC on the market in the UK, which is a German manufacturer???? This model allows a rather long distancer from the wall to the WC outlet. These WCs tend to be a bit more expensive.

However, when you compare the price of a good boxed in system or paid a tradesman to dig up tour floor and the mess and a new WC. You might as well pay for a good WC which fitted straight away without the mess!

You do not need to have the floor dug up to move the soil pipe back! Although the brochures show a special 'Vario-Connector' with a 'swan-neck' as a special connector to be used, there are pipes in the uk which will do the job!

If you can measure in mm, the distance from the wall to the centre of the pipe into the floor. I can then tell you if this one we have will suit your situation!

Regards
Alan

Sponsored Links
Thats sounds much easier option Alan, I will have a look at our loo and get back to the forum shortly.

I have measured now, finally, the distance between the wall and the front of the soil stack is 30cm, is it possible that I can get the kit to trasform it to a close coupled loo rather than have to install another low level loo. I want to just buy an off the peg suite from B&Q or somewhere will this be possible??

I have measured now, finally, the distance between the wall and the front of the soil stack is 30cm
That's a long way off the wall for a close-coupled toilet. In this commonly-occurring scenario you have four choices:

1. Replace the low-level WC with another low-level WC.
2. Fit a c/c WC, and build the wall out to mount the new cistern.
3. Fit a back-to-the-wall WC, with a concealed cistern.
4. Move the soil pipe under the floor.

is it possible that I can get the kit to trasform it to a close coupled loo rather than have to install another low level loo.
I'm not clear about whether you're doing this work or engaging a plumber to do it. If the latter, then why you are asking? Just give him/her the problem and stand back while it gets solved.

I want to just buy an off the peg suite from B&Q or somewhere will this be possible??
Yes - please see the above list.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back