Cloudy hot water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

After a bit of advice if possible guys.

Just returned from a 2 week holiday and noticed that our hot water is cloudy all of a sudden. The cold water is crystal clear so it's not a mains issue.

I wouldn't say the water is dirty but has a definite yellowy/cloudy tint to. It doesn't settle or clear over time.

We have a warm air heating system (Johnson and Starley hi Spec j40) with a cistern in the loft that is heated using the integral water heater on the warm air boiler. Used the hot water for almost a week now and still getting the same issue.

Could it simply be because the system has been stood whilst we've been away or am I looking at something else? Never noticed this issue before and we've been in the house 10 years now.

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Have you looked in the loft tank?

Any drowned wildlife? Any algae, mould, scum, slime?

Does it have a close-fitting plastic lid?

Is it insulated (the insulation is actually to keep it from getting too warm on a sunny day, not, as some people think, to keep it from freezing in winter)?

Thanks for the swift reply JohnD... I never even thought to check the tank :oops:

Just been up, no drowned wildlife. Water looks pretty clear, no sign of any slime, algae or mould just the normal white calcification in places around the edge. It is insulated and although it doesn't have a close fitting plastic lid it has a wooden covering.

I've just run the hot water cold in the hope that draining the tank will rid me of the cloudy water...fingers crossed!

You'll need to run the tank through several times to clear the old water.

Also. get rid of the wooden lid and purchase a PLASTIC one. In this weather all sorts of nastiness will fall into the cistern as water evaporates up, comes in contact with the wood and drips organic matter into the water.

If you can't get a close fitting lid, consider changing the cistern for a modern one that comes with a by-law 30 kit.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the advise guys...will run through another couple of times a look at replacing the lid.

Run yourself a glass of water and watch how it clears. If it clears from the bottom upwards, it's microbubbles of air. If it clears from the top down, it's sediment.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back