CM927 party mode question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I Was wondering if it was possible to limit the amount of time the CM927 party mode will allow?

If not can any one recommend a decent wireless thermostat + timer that will allow either just a 1 hour heating boost (like the CM927s party mode) outside the normal set hours per boost rather than allowing them to effectively put it on constant?

Cheers
Dan

Sponsored Links
Hi, I Was wondering if it was possible to limit the amount of time the CM927 party mode will allow?
The max time allowed is 23 hours - some party. ;)

If not can any one recommend a decent wireless thermostat + timer that will allow either just a 1 hour heating boost (like the CM927s party mode) outside the normal set hours per boost rather than allowing them to effectively put it on constant?

What, exactly, are you trying to achieve?

tsh 23 hours is nothing ;)

basically my mum has some lodgers, one of which keeps setting the heating to constant on the current programmer as it's not got a temporary heating boost function.

So were replacing it with one that does - but she want to ensure they have to come down to the controls to turn it back on regally rather than just leaving the heating on all the time.

tbh I think once theres a proper thermostat in a warmer place of the house (along with ensuring the rads are balanced) the problem should be solved .

Cheers
Dan

basically my mum has some lodgers, one of which keeps setting the heating to constant on the current programmer as it's not got a temporary heating boost function.
When you say it is put on constant, I assume you mean set to the MAN position.

Presumably the lodgers turn the stat up because it is cold in their rooms. This suggests that either the rads are not giving off enough heat or that the stat is in a location which cools down slower than the lodgers' rooms.

Before you shell out for a new stat, you need to find out why the lodgers are turning the stat up and solve that problem.

The stat could always be moved to a lodger-free room or enclosed in a lockable cage.

If that is not possible, the first thing I would do, if I was in your mum's position, is to tell the lodgers that they are not allowed to interfere with the thermostat. If they do they will be charged an extra £10 per day each day they are altered.

Then I would seal up the thermostat with some tape so it can't be easily opened.

Sponsored Links
When you say it is put on constant, I assume you mean set to the MAN position.

Presumably the lodgers turn the stat up because it is cold in their rooms.

AS RENT PAYING TENANTS ARE THEY NOT, BY TENANCY LAWS, ALLOWED TO HAVE THEIR ROOM AT WHATEVER TEMP THEY WANT, WHEN THEY WANT?

This suggests that either the rads are not giving off enough heat or that the stat is in a location which cools down slower than the lodgers' rooms.

Before you shell out for a new stat, you need to find out why the lodgers are turning the stat up and solve that problem.

The stat could always be moved to a lodger-free room or enclosed in a lockable cage.

If that is not possible, the first thing I would do, if I was in your mum's position, is to tell the lodgers that they are not allowed to interfere with the thermostat. If they do they will be charged an extra £10 per day each day they are altered.

Then I would seal up the thermostat with some tape so it can't be easily opened.

The thermostat needs replacing for a wireless one anyway as it's currently in a room thats not heated by the CH (don't ask).
Which is part of the problem as its heated inderpendly so the thermostat is warm enough for the room when the rest of the house is cold, and vise versa.

edit:It's probably worth saying the rad in there room they have obscured with a cubord and a desk so although is powerful enough for the room is hampered

a lock box isnt really possible as she isn't always there to change the temps if it does have a cold snap..
But yes, if they keep doing it a penalty will be enforced to reflect the additinal heating. The rooms are rented out cheaply for the location and size which is why she is wary of the boiler running constantly.

Thanks

AS RENT PAYING TENANTS ARE THEY NOT, BY TENANCY LAWS, ALLOWED TO HAVE THEIR ROOM AT WHATEVER TEMP THEY WANT, WHEN THEY WANT?
No idea about what the law says.. it probably says it needs to be suitable - IE not very cold or very hot.
But before you go shouting again - it's not about stoping them from being warm but stoping them from waisting power.
By having a control that alows them to say - "im cold turn the heating on for a hour" rather than "Im cold, lets have it on constantly" then going out for the rest of the day meanwhile heating a empty house...

Dan

ok Rachman take a chill pill

if you dont know the tenancy laws, you should maybe have a wee look as your mother is the tenants landlord, and with that comes responsibility

do you think its reasonable that to have the htg on they have to ask your mummy?

plus with all that extra untaxed income, so what if the htg is on longer

;) ;) ;)

If they were tenants, renting self-contained flats in the house, then the landlord would have to provide separate temperature control in each flat.

But they are not tenants, they are lodgers (definition: a person who pays rent to live in a property with the owner), so the same laws do not apply.

The important bit is "with the owner". So the owner lays down the rules.

See http://www.lodgers.com/you-and-your-lodger.html. There is nothing in there to say you even have to provide any heating.

Right im not going to get drawn into an argument with you about tenancy laws. I don't need to know them - im not the landlord. My mum is, and is registered with the council so will know about them.

At no point is she saying they need to ask (hence why no lock box) but wants to provide a way of not having to have it on constantly.
Which is why the thermostat is being moved to a better location and and a means of temporally turning CH on.

Simple.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back