CO Detectors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone have any views on different makes of CO detectors (good or bad) ? Are the ones with a digital read out worth the money? They have some appeal for me as they may give more of a warning rather than suddently getting a dangerous alarm situation. Some I've looked at also suggest that they have a finite life - is this true?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
i have found the SF450 to be a very good model, it has a 5 yr life , i think, nothing has an infinite lifespan, why would anyone make such a thing they want you to replace, even a unit like the SF450 "should" have a 5 yr lifespan but this is dependant on what contamination gets to the unit, i dont mean CO but other things can contaminate as well, certain aerosols contain things that poison a sensor

i have found the SF450 to be a very good model, it has a 5 yr life , i think, nothing has an infinite lifespan, why would anyone make such a thing they want you to replace, even a unit like the SF450 "should" have a 5 yr lifespan but this is dependant on what contamination gets to the unit, i dont mean CO but other things can contaminate as well, certain aerosols contain things that poison a sensor

Agreed, that's the one we always use as well (although I thought it had a 6-year life...).

The sensor on any detector will deplete over it's lifetime which is why you are expected to replace them, and why the batteries cannot be replaced, hence they have a quoted lifespan. I don't think something with a digital readout is really necessary, this will do the job just fine. Just don't go out and buy one of those colour-change spot detectors, you may as well stick a lump of toffee to your wall

Thanks for the advice gents - will proceed with the model you recommend.

Can you advise on the best location to install it? I have a Potterton Suprima 100L in the loft, and a gas hob in the kitchen. I had assumed that the best place for the sensor would be on the ceiling on the landing. Would this be correct?

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
the chances of CO from a room sealed boiler are low, if the boiler is in the loft the chances of CO leaking from that boiler and dropping to bedroom level must be even lower (CO will rise as lighter than air? :oops: ) i have never really thought of a CO alarm as a high priority for a gas cooker, i appreciate that a lot of cookers dont get serviced and can give out CO, so i suppose it is better to have one as back up, so after great deliberation i dont know where to tell you to put the alarm :eek: but if i have to choose i would say in the hall outside the bedroom doors, or fit 2 :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back