CO from gas cooker

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Recently I decided to buy a CO alarm, and I put it up in the kitchen (the only room with fuel-burning appliances) at the weekend.

And there it sat, quite happily registering no CO, for several hours.

The boiler was going on and off for CH & DHW, the oven was on, the hob was being used. And then almost immediately after lighting the grill on the cooker, the alarm was going off and it was registering over 200ppm. :eek:

Bit of shock - it's an eye-level grill so you can see the flames and there's not a hint of anything untoward with the combustion - they are strong and even and blue.

It's old and due for replacement soon, so we won't be spending money getting it fixed, we'll just stop using the grill, but blimey - scary to think it could have been like this for ages.

Sponsored Links
Retry the test starting with the grill, not just a bit of crap burning off?long shot i know.

Maybe it was a build up of everything that was burning.

Tried that - it's not that - within a few seconds of lighting the grill the numbers on the detector start to climb.

Sponsored Links
The carbon dioxide produced during combustion turns to carbon monoxide if starved of oxygen, so is there a vent at the back of the grill that has become blocked or or has the cooker been moved closer to the wall or are you now getting less ventilation into the kitchen because of the cold weather. I'm not sure that not getting a yellow flame is a guarantee of proper combustion.

The carbon dioxide produced during combustion turns to carbon monoxide if starved of oxygen, so is there a vent at the back of the grill that has become blocked
That's a possibility.

or or has the cooker been moved closer to the wall
Same distance it's always been.

or are you now getting less ventilation into the kitchen because of the cold weather.
Same as it's always been. And if it were a whole-room problem I'd expect the same behaviour when using the hob or the oven, and they work just fine.

I'm not sure that not getting a yellow flame is a guarantee of proper combustion.
Clearly not, which was one of the reasons I posted.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back