Coefficiency of performance 400% v gas at 1/4 price

JPC

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
just thinking...

these air source/water source heat pumps that give a maximum cop of 400%..

ie 1kw input (electricity) can give a max of 4kw output of heat

so, looking at my latest gas and electric bill i pay an average of 2.5 pence per Kw for gas and about 10p Kw for electric

so seems pointless to me to spend 10pkw on electric to get 400% efficiency if i can pay 1/4 for gas (same difference)

what you think...have i missed something ?

Sponsored Links
invest £5.000 and save £100 a year

payback in 50 years

No, that's not right. Because if you tucked the £5.000 away in a cash ISA it would bring in £310 p.a. tax free

And would need no maintenance

And you would still have your £5.000

When up against Natural gas an air source heat pump will always lose in terms of pound per kilowatt. Heat pumps do however have the advantage of being able to cool you in the Summer and depending on the units used, you can heat just one room rather than heating the whole house..

Heat pumps come into their own when put against LPG, Oil or electric only. Modern units modulate them selves down to suit the needs of the room and have very efficient electrostatic air filters built in which is great for hay fever sufferers. The latest units will return close to 5Kw out per Kw used. Don't bother with cheap junk B&Q stuff, look at Mitsubishi, Toshiba, Daikin/Panasonic or Sanyo. If you don't believe me, look at what B&Q sell and then look at their own offices and what they use there.. There is a reason for that ;)

We fit NIBE heat pumps and a ground source unit can achieve a CoP of 5.3.

The point about the relative costs of gas and electricity are very valid. Also, so much is lost delivering electrical energy to your doorstep, and in the UK it is primarily fossil fuel powered.

Rechargeable electric cars (and the like, etc) are called 'green' by blinkered idiots. The energy to power them is primarily fossil fuels running at 30% efficiency.

If you run a heat pump on Eco7 tariff the savings do make sense, and it is cheaper than oil, if you are in a non gas area. And you don't need a tank.

Bear in mind that gas is not renewable, whereas nuclear, hydro and wind electricity is. As time passes, the UK will be making more nuclear. There will also be more wind but that will make b*gger all difference.

Sponsored Links
hmmmm......seems we are all agreeing for once on this forum.

i thougth as much.

Don't bother with cheap junk B&Q stuff, look at Mitsubishi, Toshiba, Daikin/Panasonic or Sanyo.
Does anybody have any experience of Orbegozo? Big share of the Spanish domestic market apparently.

Also, I'm thinking of fitting A/C to cool 4 rooms - 3 upstairs and one down.

Two of the upstairs rooms are next to each other at the front of the house, and the 3rd is above the downstairs one at the rear. Are two multi-splits likely to cost more than 4 singles?

We fit NIBE heat pumps and a ground source unit can achieve a CoP of 5.3.

With an average of around 2.5 COP.

Rechargeable electric cars (and the like, etc) are called 'green' by blinkered idiots. The energy to power them is primarily fossil fuels running at 30% efficiency.

They do prevent emissions in cities and towns where exhaust pollutants can harm millions of lungs.

Bear in mind that gas is not renewable, whereas nuclear, hydro and wind electricity is. As time passes, the UK will be making more nuclear. There will also be more wind but that will make b*gger all difference.

Most predict we will be all electric. Much better as no awful flues and discharge pipes sticking out of houses and blocks of flats.

is there a standing charge?

you can take either option it made about 50p a year difference to me

i chose the higher initial units gas first 362 at 3.518 [inc5%]

elec 71 at 13.5 both per month[or 28 days to be exact]

i'm with atlantic gas and electric online..no standing charge.

I suppose air to air and similar products will come into their own when we can run then off pv panels on our own roofs...but currently they are to expensive and not efficient enough.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back