Cold Bathroom due to Extractor Fan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently had installed an extractor fan in a downstairs shower room.

The problem appears to be the amount of cold air it is letting in when it is not operational. When you look though the fan you can see clearly outside - i.e. no shutters. Is this the norm for extractor fans? As a result all the hot air is escaping and being replaced by freezing cold air making the shower room a no go in the winter.

Can I buy a better fan that has shutters that will help the room maintain its heat?

All help appreciated.

Sponsored Links
The fan should have come with shutters to fit on the outside wall.

There are no shutters on the outside - all that is visible is a plastic grill, of and a view of the shower room!

glenc said:
There are no shutters on the outside - all that is visible is a plastic grill, of and a view of the shower room!

Fit some shutters then. Something like these should do the trick.

Sponsored Links
You can purchase the outside grilles with drop down louvres from any of the diy sheds.

You could also fit a back draft shutter which fits in side the ducting,Like one of these http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/BG4BS.html I have used both the outside grill type and this kind and because of the nature of the installation ie fits tightly inside the pipe I would say that it is the most effective at reducing the drafts.

An otside cover with plastic louvres will work, but they rattle annoyingly in the wind. see if you can find one with a single large flap, with a cowl to keep the rain out.

It might be sold as a tumble drier accesssory.

will probably suit you.
[/http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?cId=100139&ts=78710&id=14789]

thanks - will hopefully have a solution before winter sets in!

Just realised that there is no ducting either!!

The wall is only 6-8 inches thick but I think I should fit some ducting aswell as the back draft shutter and perhaps a cowl vent for a belt and braces approach.

you're right, sounds like it is a solid wall not cavity (you wouldn't want to be blowing damp air into the cavity!).

4-inch soil pipe is cheap and easy to line the hole in the wall, and its the vents. You can pack mortar round the ends to seal and hold it.

crafty1289 said:
4-inch soil pipe is cheap
not when you have to purchase 4 metres of it to only use 8 inches :rolleyes:

good point, though you can often buy short lengths from those rectangular metal shops they leave in the road.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back