cold bedroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, hopefully someone can solve this problem?
Recently moved in into 80's house, the boiler replaced and radiators.
The lounge is comfortable hot but the upstairs bedrooms are never hot enough. If we leave the heating on in the lounge long enough I guess eventually the rooms may get hot enough but the lounge would be like a hot house!
I have been told that because the room has three outside walls it will always be very cold??
Any help?

Sponsored Links
You don't say whether the upstairs radiators are getting sufficiently hot in a reasonable time.

Assuming they are hot enough I'd check the level of loft insulation above the bedrooms.
An upgrade to around 11" would be the best place to start.

as jacks says...are the rads hot or are they not warming for some reason? if the rads are hot then check insulation and/or consider larger output radiator

Yes I did think of the loft insulation, there is a good amount up there, although 11" or 12"?, not sure!
The rads are getting very hot, so not a problem with the heating.
Is it just the fact that three of the walls are outside walls, as its a detached house? The walls are very cold to the touch...
The room thermostat is in the lounge so maybe thats not helping?..

Sponsored Links
Could it be the system needs balancing to better distribute the boiler output between the rads?

The lounge may not be the ideal location for the thermostat, as once it is up to temperature, the 'stat will shut down the system, maybe before the bedroom is up to temperature.

mmm I think your spot on...thermostat needs relocating!, must admit that is not what I wanted to hear!...but where is best for the thermostat?
In the hallway?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back