cold calling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Although being tps registered I have received several cold calls. The conversation starts " Are you going to replace your fascias or gutters in the next 3months 6 months......." or something like this. They always hang up when questioned.

Who are they???

Peter

Sponsored Links
Although being tps registered I have received several cold calls. The conversation starts " Are you going to replace your fascias or gutters in the next 3months 6 months......." or something like this. They always hang up when questioned.

Who are they???

Peter

this can happen if you accidentilly opt in or not opt out when filling in forms for services

Get them to send round a salesman, then once he's measured up and quoted - tell him were never interested, that you just decided to waste some of his time in return for their call-centre wasting some of yours.

Worked for me a treat with a double glazing company!

Sponsored Links
I've had this problem for several years. I can tell it's the same company by the opening parrot like question. I contacted tps who say £5000 maximum fine for not checking their register first.........there is apparently no defence. Also contacted tiscali; my telephone provider who will send me a list, within 14 days, of all the calls on relevant request and apparently I qualify so will know who these people are and then tps can take action.

Who are they???

Peter

Probably Summit Roofguard, they've got quite an arsenal of Tele-canvassers and they are based in the West Midlands.

Does TPS cover recorded canvassing calls too?

One in particular from a company that wants to consolidate all my non-existant debts is driving me mad!

Does TPS cover recorded canvassing calls too?

One in particular from a company that wants to consolidate all my non-existant debts is driving me mad!
If you are receiving unsolicited sales and marketing voice recorded messages down your telephone line, and you have not given prior consent to receive such messages, you can ask the marketer to stop sending these.

They are legally obliged to act upon your request.

However if you are still receiving such calls (or it is not possible to ask the company to stop sending these types of messages) you can complain directly to the Information Commissioner's Office (ICO). They are the government body responsible for enforcing the regulations.

Please note complaints about text messages and automated voice recordings are covered by new regulations overseen by the ICO. For more information please see their website www.ico.gov.uk or phone helpline on 01625 545745

Any time I get a call like that (it happens quite often) I say "can you hang on a minute please" and just put the phone down for about 30 secs then pick it up again and say "back in a minute" etc etc.

had a row with a double glazing firm some years back about this, when I moved out, I got my parents to go ex-directory to help stop scams etc, whilst visiting the phone rang, when I stopped the guy mid speech to ask how he got the number he said their computer dialed numbers at random till someone answered, so,
I got the name of the company, the name of the person I was speaking to, then informed him that a, we were not interested in any of their products, and b, could he NOT ring again, and that if he did ring again I would report him for making nuisance phone calls, he reckoned he couldn't guarantee that because it was the computer that dialled the numbers, when I said that was not my problem but his, he got all sheepish.
Look in the phone book or yellow pages, under terms and conditions of having use of a telephone line or system, a nuisance phone call is classed as anyone who calls after you have asked them not to, and a complaint can be made, strangely enough, they never rang back!!
Used this method a few times and it's always worked!!

If registered by TPS, if it's a person, tell them NO, I'm registered with TPS..

But how to report a computer call, which I thought was illegal anyway?

had a row with a double glazing firm some years back about this, when I moved out, I got my parents to go ex-directory to help stop scams etc, whilst visiting the phone rang, when I stopped the guy mid speech to ask how he got the number he said their computer dialed numbers at random till someone answered, so,
I got the name of the company, the name of the person I was speaking to, then informed him that a, we were not interested in any of their products, and b, could he NOT ring again, and that if he did ring again I would report him for making nuisance phone calls, he reckoned he couldn't guarantee that because it was the computer that dialled the numbers, when I said that was not my problem but his, he got all sheepish.
Look in the phone book or yellow pages, under terms and conditions of having use of a telephone line or system, a nuisance phone call is classed as anyone who calls after you have asked them not to, and a complaint can be made, strangely enough, they never rang back!!
Used this method a few times and it's always worked!!

Just use the free TPS service..They do all that for you. TPS.COM ? If you use that, then the firms contacting you WILL be fined. That's what it's for.

I also had problems with cold calling even when on TPS. when told we were on tps the callers say "we cannot find you on our register" I have checked online and we ARE registered. We are also on FPS(fax preference service)but still get "beep beep" calls at all times of day or night. I was told that any calls that do come through are either illegal or based abroad, and are difficult to stop.

I also had problems with cold calling even when on TPS. when told we were on tps the callers say "we cannot find you on our register" I have checked online and we ARE registered. We are also on FPS(fax preference service)but still get "beep beep" calls at all times of day or night. I was told that any calls that do come through are either illegal or based abroad, and are difficult to stop.

I don't understand this thing of automated machines auto-dialling? If it goes to answer phone, it cuts off, but if you speak, you get a robot voice. I thought auto-diallers were illegal to start off with?

My parents have trouble with voice cold calling phone calls, but every time fail to remember they are registered with TPS..maybe it's something to do with the register to vote forms that state 'Do you want to be on the public, or private section, double negative tick here.

A while back a cold caller told me that I had my address wrong, as I stated my postcode incorrectly! Which I hadn't given, but I do often get wrong mail delivered, or workmen turning up to my address incorrectly.

The auto dialers usually dial several numbers at the same time and connect to whoever picks up first. They are also set to cut off if they dial a mobile, as i have found when my landline is on re-direct to my mobile. The fax calls usually come in threes, several minutes apart, and even leaving them to ring dosenot stop them, or picking up and immediately hanging up.

Sponsored Links
Back