Cold central heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
2 issues, first my Puma 80e combi boiler, quite old now, scolds you at first then takes ages to heat up when you turn on the hot tap. Also when running hot water for prolonged periods after turning off the tap the boiler pops, bangs, fizzes and lets off steam from the small valve on top.
The boiler was serviced regularly until a few years ago. I've checked through all the troubleshooting menu and all seems ok.

2nd more annoying issue is that the rads takes ages to heat up except the unvalved one nearest to the boiler. Sometimes 2 hours or more, then when hot they quickly go cold occasionally for no reason.
I've flush the whole system several times, nothing but clean water comes out. I've balanced all the rads which helped slightly. I taken the myson compact pump head off and it works fine with no blockages or corrosion. The diverter valve works fine. Even the main c/h hot outlet pipe heats up quickly when the c/h is on. Yet only the rad nearest it heats up quickly, with other rads in the house only getting luke warm after a few hours. If the heating is left on all day then eventually they get hot.
My last thought is to check the manifold under the floorboards or fit a restrictor in the unvalved rad nearest the boiler.

Any further suggestions? I'm at a loss.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back